Whisper GP stove fan leak!!

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
J@cques

Whisper GP stove fan leak!!

Post by J@cques »

Hello,

I am a new member here and just recently became a stirling user. In fact, in order to get more acquainted with the stirling engines I first purchased 2 whisper GP stove fan.

The first one was being tested on a diesel fuel stove that reaches a maximum temperature of 320° F. It ran fine for about 7 days when it suddenly developped a leak. I even had to air out the entire room as the gas leaking was making us all cough. One can see on the bottom of the fan where the gas leaked out and even the bottom plate is now bowed outwards, as if a lot of pressure had build up. It still runs, but I am afraid to let it work like that.

The second fan purchased is intended as a present for my brother who would use it on a stone stove (max temp 380°F) but I am now afraid to offer it to him in case this one would also develop a leak.

I don't understand what went wrong as these fans have a working range of minimum 200°F and maximum 425°F.

Since I am living in Europe and these stirling fans come from an american company I haven't received any answer yet from the company.

Has anybody any idea what happened to the first fan as it was being run in a temperature range that it was build for - production error? seal leak? weak part? ... etc as I may not open the fan or I will loose my warranty (if I ever get any from the company since I am in Europe)

Would you offer the second fan to a family member, not knowing if this one will fail as well?

Thank you for your help

Jacques Miller - Grand Duchy of Luxembourg - Europe
speedless

Post by speedless »

Hi Jac
Working range is when the motor is running,if it for some reason stops while left on the stove,it will (at some time) overheat.There will be no exchange of hot/cold air,therefore no cooling of the bottom of displacer-vessel.Pressure will build up and ...disaster
I would also check the temp. at the motors place on the stove.
Would you offer the second fan to a family member, not knowing if this one will fail as well?
Yes,but with the history.

Jan