LTD builders info

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Cartech

LTD builders info

Post by Cartech »

Just thought I would share some recent (recent to me anyway) discoveries. I decided to make a new power piston connecting rod for my LTD engine to eleminate a small knock that was bugging me and also decided to shorten the stroke as well. What I discoved was the shorter stoke lowered the compression a fair amount and this in turn allows my engine to run at a much lower input temp. It will now run eight minutes after I blow out the candle, it used to be about three and a half. I also needed to lighten the flyweel as well to get the running speed back up. As for power outut, it's close to the same. I am still able to run a small home made alternator that powers two LED's. It's not quite at "palm of your hand" running, I never expected it to be but it's very close now, the candle is almost too much.
Deferr

Re: LTD builders info

Post by Deferr »

This experimental finding matches with LTD stirling engine analytical work as well as published experimental findings. Many experimental LTD engines have variable power piston stroke in order to re-adjust the swept volume of the power piston based on the running temperature difference.