first stirling engine HELP!

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
stifler51

first stirling engine HELP!

Post by stifler51 »

so im trying to make my own stirling engine but i have a few questions, How can i tell the size of the opening for the restrictor between the cylinder and the test tube? what kind of fit do u need between the cylinder wall and piston? im making it out of graphite. How hot of flame is needed?

My setup is basically like the picture. the front cylinder is .800 diameter cuz i only had 1.000 round brass rod

alpha stirling

Re: first stirling engine HELP!

Post by alpha stirling »

The size of the opening should be mentioned in the drawing. This is "laminar flow" engine, which I think works by forming variable pressure nodes and antinodes inside the tube. I don't know enough about these engines to give you any detailed description or measurements, sorry.

What do you mean by "fit"? If you are making a piston out of graphite, turning it to correct size should be quite trivial: turn it in a lathe enough for the piston to fit snugly to the cylinder (ie. it fits in but doesn't move freely), then use newspaper or similar paper with fine surface (a way you would use sandpaper) to fine tune the diameter of the piston so that it moves freely in the cylinder...