Where can I get 1hp to 2hp stirling engine?

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
thaipokey

Where can I get 1hp to 2hp stirling engine?

Post by thaipokey »

I am looking for a 1hp to 2hp Stirling engine. I am not looking for plans, drawings, etc... A kit would be OK. Don't want toys or models, I do not need the heat source or generator, just want the engine rated at about 1hp to 2hp. Anyone know where I might get one?
Cartech

Re: Where can I get 1hp to 2hp stirling engine?

Post by Cartech »

I think the place that sells the goose that lays golden eggs has them. :) Seriously, I don't think such a Stirling exists. Your only option is to build one your self or possibly convert a internal combustion engine (results for doing that are not very good at getting much power) If you actually locate such a Stirling, please post the place here. Good luck.
Cybertronic

Post by Cybertronic »

Cartech wrote:I think the place that sells the goose that lays golden eggs has them. :) Seriously, I don't think such a Stirling exists. Your only option is to build one your self or possibly convert a internal combustion engine (results for doing that are not very good at getting much power) If you actually locate such a Stirling, please post the place here. Good luck.
I find your Arrogance appalling....

In the 1980's Merrick Lockwood was the leader of a team that built a five hp. (3.7 kW) Stirling engine fueled by farm garbage (in this case the garbage was rice husks). After a huge amount of work they finally got the engine running well.

http://www.stirlingengine.com/product/84
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

The rice powered, 5hp motor is ok, and could be scaled down to give 1hp-2hp size, which in its self, compared to the vintage motors is quite large in power output, but not much use to thaipokey, who wants an already designed and built motor. Building your own is about the only way to go. Ian S C
Longboy

Post by Longboy »

I find your Arrogance appalling....

In the 1980's Merrick Lockwood was the leader of a team that built a five hp. (3.7 kW) Stirling engine fueled by farm garbage (in this case the garbage was rice husks). After a huge amount of work they finally got the engine running well.

http://www.stirlingengine.com/product/84
.......The OP isn't looking for a history lesson here. Cartech was right on top of it. You can't buy one, not available, they don't exist as a consumer item.
jimlarsen

Post by jimlarsen »

If you don't mind having a large generator attached, you can get one here:
http://www.whispertech.co.nz/main/PRODUCTS/
Junkie

Post by Junkie »

Cartech has it right.
http://www.scraptopower.co.uk My web site, Stirling engines and AE stuff.
vile_fly

Post by vile_fly »

I only found a 500w unit. http://www.ve-ingenieure.de/projekt_st05g_cnc_engl.html
You will have to build it yourself. Try www.emachineshop.com if you want them to make the parts for you. The CAD drawings are for sale.

The only other way is to get one from a 3rd world country, and I am sure they will fight you for it.
Image Pssst! Hey you! Yeah, you. Over here....
jimlarsen

Post by jimlarsen »

WhisperTech is not third-world and they seem to have to units that are gaining popularity in the colder climates in Europe. They offer a solution that provides you with heat and hot water using a Stirling engine, and as a bi-product you get free electricity whenever the unit is running. In colder climates they will run often enough that you can sell your surplus electricity back to the grid.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Jims right, New Zealand's not 3rd world, Christchurch, and Canterbury University are considered to be a world center for hot air developement, it forms a major part of the School of Engineering, and is the home of Whisper Tech, and the Whisper Gen power unit, I'm not involved with Whisper Tech, but try to keep in touch with Dr Don Clucas, one of the original designers, his engineering doctrate is in hot air engines I believe. Don and his engineers have been building motors for many years. Ian S C at Darfield, 40k from Christchurch NZ
vile_fly

Post by vile_fly »

um, I was referring to the ST-5 engine project.....I should have been more specific. I was making a joke. Whispertech is just fine by me. I just don't think they sell retail units to individuals, however. I am always suspicious of the "non-price" advertisement.
Image Pssst! Hey you! Yeah, you. Over here....
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Vile fly, you can buy the whisper Gen, as they make them for boats/ yatchs etc., as well as the ones for domestic use in Europe, but they are a bit expensive, I think its getting up to $NZ20,000. but they say that with sale of power back to the main supplier its possible to pay off the price in about 3 years.
The ST-5 was designed in the USA, I don't think it got any further than that, I think there is a book about it.
Joke accepted, we some times think that we're becoming a 3rd world country, as a lot of industry heads off shore, to places like China. Ian S C
Junkie

Post by Junkie »

British gas were supposed to working with whisper gen to offer the whispergen micro CHP to us UK consumers, but I think the deal fell
through. At least, I haven't heard anything about it since about 2007.
http://www.scraptopower.co.uk My web site, Stirling engines and AE stuff.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

The whisper Gen is being built in Spain, and installed in UK, by fitters trained by a team from New Zealand. Before the training course was set up, the local(UK) fitters were having problems. Don't know about the rest of Europe, I think they where looking at Germany. The contract was about $NZ 300 million/ about 100 million pounds UK.
The actual motor and generator is a cylinder shape, about 300mm X 500mm, the rest of the bits that fill the box which is approx 700mmH X 500mm sq. I think they are using Argon as the gas, at something over 1000psi. Ian S C
Carnot

Post by Carnot »

This link has a 9kW Stirling, but it is designed for solar-power, and probably weighs a lot.

http://www.cleanergyindustries.com/index.html

I saw the motor in 2002 at the Hannover Messe (Trade Fair). A picture from the brochure
is attached.
Attachments
Solo Stirling.jpg
Solo Stirling.jpg (67.12 KiB) Viewed 22139 times