Plumbing solder and seals

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Junkie

Plumbing solder and seals

Post by Junkie »

Has anybody used this for the displacer rod seals ? I just cast a little test bushing by using a
compression olive and a piece of steel rod (the same as the displacer rod) as a mold. I haven't
tried it a real engine (yet) but it seems really smooth and airtight. I think this could work really
well for a small engine though I haven't tried it :smile:
maxxypane

Re: Plumbing solder and seals

Post by maxxypane »

Well, I didn't use it ever but I have some knowledge regarding this. If a metal rod is damaged or begins to break, the repair solder. Soldering is the process of joining two metal objects by melting a charge in the joint. To solder a bar of damage, or to join two rods together, need some tools, including a gun, solder and flux. A soldering gun is extremely hot, so be careful when using it.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Solder may work for a short time, white metal that is used for bearing metal would be better, its similar, but has other metals in it such as Antimony which is the actual bearing metal heldin place by the tin lead alloy.
Hold the metal rod above a candle flame, and get a coating of soot/ lamp black on it, the solder won't stick to this. Ian S C
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Maxxypane &KyaleAdam, Junkie is wanting to make a bushing, not a joint with the solder. It should work, just don't get grit in it, or it will wear out the shaft quite quickly. I'v used teflon bushes , and brass and cast iron ones, all on steel, or stainless steel shafts. I still don't know which is best, so maybe you'v hit on something. Ian S C