Stirling engine on a bicycle.

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
St. Catherine

Stirling engine on a bicycle.

Post by St. Catherine »

On page 78 of The Stirling Engine Manual by James G. Rizzo there is supposed to be a picture of the bicycle put together by Andy Ross that he fitted up with a 90cc Ryder type Stirling engine. Could I ask someone very pretty please to scan that picture and post it so I can see it. A picture's worth a 1000 words and all that and it would help me a lot to see that one particular picture.

:smile:
Ian S C

Re: Stirling engine on a bicycle.

Post by Ian S C »

St Catherine, sorry can't give you a photo, I'v got the book. I'v built a Ross Yoke engine with 35mm bores, and 20mm strokes, unpressurised, and not run in it will produce about 5 watts, I want to build one with 50mm + bores, and 30mm stroke, this should give quite a bit of power.
Don't just look in the hardware dept, but look in the kitchen gear dept too, also second hand shops (I suppose you have those), garage sales etc., looking for thin walled cylinders with bottoms, or tubes that can get a bottom TIGed into it. Don't go for aluminium for the displacer, to get power out, you need lots of heat in, and the aluminium wont take it 300-400 deg Cand its strength is gone, also it conducts heat from the hot end to the cold end too fast. For a motor that size I would tend to go for a cast iron piston rather than carbon as suggested for smaller motors, NO rings, just oil grooves on the piston's skirt. Ian S C
onetoremember

Re: Stirling engine on a bicycle.

Post by onetoremember »

I used to sell that book in the uK but I think I have sold the last one. I will take a look and see if there is one on the shelves. They sel for a lot second hand.

I have aksed the publisher if they want to re-print. So far they haven't been able to.

(We publish a few books and ebooks so would love the chance to publish this book)

Regards