New to the forum

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
smuttley

New to the forum

Post by smuttley »

Hi All,

Just joined the forum and hope to spend many hours looking through posts and hopefully help some guys out. I own my own manufacturing company that produce Stirling engines and hopefully more different types soon. You guys can always ask me questions and I also may learn from others here.

Regards,

Smuttley (Steve)
Western Australia
vile_fly

Re: New to the forum

Post by vile_fly »

Hi, steve. Welcome to the forum. Got a question. Is www.emachineshop.com cost effective enough for you to use, or are there other more economical options out there. I'm not advertising for them, but I have no idea what the cost of commercial machining is per consumer demand. If I get my v-twin stirling all worked out, I will see about making a conversion kit for the air compressor I am converting. It might be real popular....or not.
Image Pssst! Hey you! Yeah, you. Over here....
smuttley

Re: New to the forum

Post by smuttley »

Hi,

Bit hart to estimate machining costs, depends on a lot of factors, like materials used, machined or cast. Make very precise drawings and get many quotes and don’t just stick to one country if you are thinking of mass production. When I say mass, this is for anything above 50 units.

We have our own CNC machines, and don’t rely on other manufacturers to make parts for us, but at over $80,000 per machine, it is an expensive exercise if you get it wrong, but if you can outsource machining, it can work out very reasonable if you do your homework.

Hope that helps a little,

Steve