Metric Punctuation Question

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
jimlarsen

Metric Punctuation Question

Post by jimlarsen »

When writing metric dimensions, is there a space between the number and the letters? I see it both ways, and wonder which is correct. Is it "10 mm" or "10mm"?

I am asking this here because I know there are many here with much more metric experience than I have.

Thanks.
vile_fly

Re: Metric Punctuation Question

Post by vile_fly »

Google search likes "10 mm". Otherwise, both work for me.
Image Pssst! Hey you! Yeah, you. Over here....
Andrzej

Post by Andrzej »

vile_fly wrote:Google search likes "10 mm". Otherwise, both work for me.
Should be 10 mm - for exemple 10,09 mm, 100,29 m, 151,259 km
regards
Andrew
Ferraccio

Post by Ferraccio »

Jim, i live in metric world
the rule is to separate numbers to letters, (10 mm), may happen that is written 10mm, is a formal mistake, but all understand.
Ferraccio

Post by Ferraccio »

Andr indicates the metric way to separate the units to the decimals with the comma (,) normally in the States in used the point (.).
Carnot

Post by Carnot »

Ferraccio wrote:Andr indicates the metric way to separate the units to the decimals with the comma (,) normally in the States in used the point (.).
The use of the comma or point (radix) depends on the country, the comma is not used in all metric countries.
For example, metric Australia uses the decimal point
See...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_mark
Ferraccio

Post by Ferraccio »

Australia come from English-US system; also in US there is a hybrid system of English-metric type (from the '70 the threads, bolts and screw for cars, are in metric, mm; and decimals are used also for part of inch -0.002", instead of fractiions -1/16"). Meaning: no one is obliged to adopt completely another system, especially at the international, and particularly in countries where it is important to be consistent with themselves.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

We in New Zealand are supposed to be metric, but I use mainly imperial for my own work. But if I am communicating with someone else I try to use the figures that, that person would normally use. I have always written for example 10mm, but I must start to try and go to 10 mm, but I'll stick to (.)instead of (,)although it is easier to see the comma than the stop. Ian S C