New Members PLEASE read! - OR, having problems registering, being deactivated

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
fireman

Re: "Hi" We are new here!

Post by fireman »

Not only am I new to this site but I am new to the use of a computer .
I am using this space to post a comment which I am lead to believe is important but also to say I have been
very interested in the Stirling concept and the fact that I am now 70 and have a machine shop at my immediate
disposal I am wanting to make at least one model for myself and would make parts for others.

I know little about how to use this site and wish someone would step in and guide me through so I can benifit
from what there is to be had .
Thank you
theropod2

Post by theropod2 »

fireman wrote:Not only am I new to this site but I am new to the use of a computer .
I am using this space to post a comment which I am lead to believe is important but also to say I have been
very interested in the Stirling concept and the fact that I am now 70 and have a machine shop at my immediate
disposal I am wanting to make at least one model for myself and would make parts for others.

I know little about how to use this site and wish someone would step in and guide me through so I can benifit
from what there is to be had .
Thank you
Fireman,

Welcome. The site is pretty easy to use, but if you have any specific questions I'll do my best to give you a reasonable answer.

Our host doesn't mind being of help either.

Machine shop, eh? Nice. Shipping these days is so expensive getting parts from there to here would be a pain, but I'd love to see your engine (when you build one).

RS
Doc Cox

Post by Doc Cox »

Good evening, new to Stirling engines and looking forward to building one, off now to look through the forum, regards Doc Cox, :idea:
Walle

Post by Walle »

Hello, I just registered! :)

I have been interested in Stirling engines for some time. I think it was back in 2003 or something like that when I saw a small Stirling engine run off the heat from the palm of a hand. I was mighty impressed, but didn't really understand the Stirling cycle. I actually don't think i fully understood it until just a few years ago. I'm interested in learning the mathematics behind the design of a Stirling engine (what cylinder volumes should be chosen and why, e.t.c.).

I'm quite into CFD simulation (I have been doing that at work, although I am still learning plus I didn't do heat transfer simulations), and intend to simulate different parts and designs for efficiency. I also have some out-of-the-box-ideas I want to simulate and see if they could improve the efficiency of a Stirling engine.

Will I build one? Probably, but probably in years from now. First off, I don't have a machine shop yet (although I have a grandissimo VMC I have no where to put it right now). I also am the type of person who needs to try to achieve some kind of "perfection" in the design before I start building.

I will happily (extremely happily) accept 3D-cadded parts to try to run simulations on. Regenerators and cylinder heads. Although I wouldn't mind having a full assembly of a (confirmed) working Stirling engine to look at in Solidworks, so if someone have that and are willing to share, I would be very happy! :)
Last edited by Walle on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Hi Walle, wellcome to the forum. Unless you really cane visualise things like Stirling Engines, there is no substitute for hands on with the real thing, it could even be worth while contemplating the build of a tin can motor, just to get the feel of a motor running. Don't try, well not at first, to design anything other than to a prooven design, it proberbly won't work. Ian S C
AF4HR

Post by AF4HR »

Hi my name is Dennis and I’m retired Master Sergeant US Army. My father was a Mechanic and own his own truck garage in Iowa where I grow up and went to high school. I now live in Florida where I have a small shop and like to spend my retirement time building small radios and playing with engines. I have always been aware of the Sirling engine but never had the time to build one…I think now is the time. My plans are to do a lot of reading :idea:
chriswv3

Post by chriswv3 »

Hello Everyone. I can't understand why I haven't joined this forum earlier. I've been interested in stirling & hot air engines for years. Anyway I bought my first lathe last year and am trying to construct my first engine. I want to experiment with engines that can produce a bit of useful work like the examples that Andy Ross makes (some hope!).

Cheers - Chris.
carverED

Post by carverED »

Hello all. I'm a retired Tool & Diemaker, living on the shore of Connecticut in the US. I just completed a Sterling engine from myfordboy's plans. I'm looking forward to taking part in the Stirling and Hot Air Forum, and hope that I can contribute in some way.
regards
Ed
theropod2

Post by theropod2 »

carverED wrote:Hello all. I'm a retired Tool & Diemaker, living on the shore of Connecticut in the US. I just completed a Sterling engine from myfordboy's plans. I'm looking forward to taking part in the Stirling and Hot Air Forum, and hope that I can contribute in some way.
regards
Ed
Hi Ed,

Welcome.

Can you write a post about building that myfordboy engine, with picts? I'd love to see that.

R
Flyereddie

Post by Flyereddie »

Hi
I have had an interest in stirling engines since seeing one running in a museum in Sydney Australia many years ago. I built my first engine about 10 years ago from my own design and it still amazes me that it ran, I had no tools other than a bench drill a few hand tools and a lot of time
Cheers
Mark
ramulax1989

Post by ramulax1989 »

Hello i am new member
and i am computer engineer
120ThingsIn20Years

Post by 120ThingsIn20Years »

Hi from Adelaide, South Australia.

I've just started learning about Stirling Engines as part of an ongoing attempt to learn 120 new skills over 20 years. I'm active on a lot of forums, and often go by the name of BullwinkleII. I also blog about my learning adventure.

I'll have my head down for a while reading old posts, and from what I've seen in the list of topics, it looks like there's some great info.

Thanks in advance.
My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.
RickKotze

Post by RickKotze »

Alo,

I joined yesterday. This forum is brilliant! Didnt expect to find so many people interested in Stirlings!!
Im trying to find plans for 10W enginer that I need to assess for a University project.
Please check out my new thread about it.

Lookin forward to hearing back from you guys! :)
Cheers from South Africa :)
tapkoote

Post by tapkoote »

Hello folks
Interested in all things mechanical
Have built pop pop boats, must be time for a hot air engine?
tap
If the hammer didn't work
you have an electrical problem
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Tap,Built my first Pop Pop boat 55yrs ago, and my first Stirling Engine 23yrs ago, when I built the Pop Pop boat, thought I had invented something new, as I had never seen one, or heard of them, but when I showed it to my Dad, he told me how when he was my age he got one for Christmas. Just (sort of) a hot air engine with a fluid piston. Welcome to a bit of hot air, Ian S C