New Members PLEASE read! - OR, having problems registering, being deactivated

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Triangle.Stirling

Re: "Hi" We are new here!

Post by Triangle.Stirling »

Hello everybody,

We are 2 students in the graduating class and making an assignment about Stirling Engines.
We'd like to learn as much about existing and possible applications of the Stirling Engine.
We'd also plan to design our own Stirling engine.

We already have read a lot of information here on the forum and hope to learn a great lot more.

Any suggesations for our Assingment are welcome.

Krijn and Lukas - From the Netherlands

oh, and @Turasco, in case you suddenly decide to give your precious engine away to an unknown Dutchmen, consider us....
m.read

Post by m.read »

hello, I am new.
mildsteel

Post by mildsteel »

Hi, I just joined this forum.
I am trying to build my second Stirling (an LTD from jam jar lids and plastic bottle sides) but I'm still struggling after numerous tries. My first effort was a test tube engine which (sometimes) ran remarkably fast.

--MS
Hawke

Post by Hawke »

Welcome. Dont give up, I built 4 or 5 before I got one to run. Model Stirlings are very finicky . Mybe some pictures might clue us into to how and help. Stick with a proven design is the best suggestion I got. Then experiment on it and improve on the next model.
Friction and leaks seem to be common issues.
What we need is a More Heat or More cold, and Less Friction or Better Air Seals ...and an Aspirin!
Sripto Vu-Lighter Historian http://www.thehawkeco.com
drafty

Post by drafty »

Hello Stirling builders
I'm a newbie and currently building an 'LTD' engine and fine tuning a 'A.W. Green' publication horizontal gamma engine.
My background has been mechanical engineering,on the tools, on steam ships as watch keeping engineer and finally as a design draftsman.
The end of the road career wise is happily coming to a close soon, so what better hobby than to immerse oneself in what interests you most,
namely hot air engines.
tdem

Post by tdem »

Greetings Stirling engine enthusiasts,
I am a real person! I'm interested in clever solutions and making things cheaply. No real life Stirling experience yet.
-Thomas
volohdq

Post by volohdq »

Hi Folks,
We are working on a low cost Stirling Engine Project for electrical generation - 1KW output for 300 Degree C delta temp.

Tim
beerens113

Post by beerens113 »

Hi,
Am new here. I'm working on a free piston stirling mounted to a linear alternator using off the shelf parts where I can, and having other parts made with 3d printing, and laser cutting. Am avoiding as much machining as possible while still trying to achieve high accuracy and efficiency. Have found valuable information here, and am very excited to be part of the group.

JB
Ando

Post by Ando »

Hi,
I'm here.
Sameman

Post by Sameman »

Finally, after one year trying to register and a lot of attempts I'm here!
Hawke

Post by Hawke »

Hello to all the newest members! ..(from another newbie)
What we need is a More Heat or More cold, and Less Friction or Better Air Seals ...and an Aspirin!
Sripto Vu-Lighter Historian http://www.thehawkeco.com
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

sameman, Good to see someone with perseverance, you might need similar patience when you get to building engines, they take time, and sometimes a number of attempts, best wishes Ian S C
Sameman

Post by Sameman »

Ian, y're right. Now I have some troubles with building little Ringbom. First - calculation the spring, second - calculation the flywheel. But I'll solve them most quckly that registration.
luiggipf

Post by luiggipf »

Hi there! In the process of making a stirling engine i came to terms with the fact that i could not really make one, after much lamentation i decided to come here to get some help from the experts on the subject haha

Regards from Brazil! :big smile:

Luiggi
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Sameman, Have a look in my gallery, you'll find a diagram of Tapper, a famous Ringbom model, if you build to the same proportions as the diagram, it will work, I'v built a water cooled one with a displacer of 1 3/4" bore, and a power cylinder of 1 1/4" bore, and 3/4" stroke. The only spring is on the displacer rod to absorb the down stroke of the displacer, I suppose it does give the displacer a bounce start. Ian S C[album][/album]
Attachments
Dsc00301.jpg
Dsc00301.jpg (127.94 KiB) Viewed 7263 times