New Members PLEASE read! - OR, having problems registering, being deactivated

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
theropod2

Re: "Hi" We are new here!

Post by theropod2 »

The walking beam design is so simple and easy I'd say it's a great choice for a first engine to build.

Welcome all you new folks!

R
ablebob

Post by ablebob »

Hi - I'm new here. Located in Illinois near St Louis. I have a machine & welding shop. I'm thinking about building a large stirling engine. I'm here for the info & ideas. Bob
ksor

Post by ksor »

I thought I was registred here but I wasn't - so now I am !

I'm very keen on building a stirling motor driven by the sun to make electric power - I shold have all the equipment to do so !

On my web site you can see "who I am" - I inserted a combobox where you can select the language you want to translate to - so I hope you enjoy reading of all my projects.

:mrgreen:

http://kelds.weebly.com/

Best regards
KSor, Denmark
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Hi!
I live in Las Vegas, and would love to take advantage of the abundant solar energy available here. I also manage a cafe, and exhaust heat from our kitchen and bakery should be sufficient to generate as much as half our electricity needs. For now, I'm building various designs I've found on the internet, tinkering with them till I get them running, and learning along the way. I am very impressed with the skills and helpfulness displayed by the members here, thank you all! I hope I can contribute in some small way.

Here are videos of the first two runners I built from junk, one is the basic soda can design running on a tea candle, the other is an LTD made from can bottoms and a plastic soda bottle. The epoxy seal at the connection of the power piston and the displacer tube eventually failed on the soda can engine (several hours), and the plastic soda bottle proved to be to soft for hot water on the LTD (40 minutes).
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnLWKXq_Ajs[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0swAGrc_4xU[/youtube]

My next project is an LTD designed to run off the heat of a fresh baked bagel. I'm hoping together with a joule-thief circuit, I can make one just strong enough to power a couple of LEDs that will light a small sign saying "Fresh Hot" above a flywheel made to look like a bagel.
If I seem argumentative, I apologize. I like to explore many sides of an issue.
I love to be shown I'm wrong, after all, Dad always said to learn from my mistakes!
fullofhotair

Post by fullofhotair »

Ive made a few pop can gamma stirling engines.I like tripping them out to the maximum of my skill set.Graphite bushings made out of carpenter pencil lead.More eficient fire box using utube designed alcohol pop can stove with vortex forming skirt.Im going to make a big beta using the diaphram power piston pretty much following Approtechies design.I really never thought a nonpro stirling could reach such level of speed and power,but thanks to Approtechie utube videos us guys without lathes can make a pretty sweet, not so little, powerful stirling.
naviator

Post by naviator »

Hi! Ain't this fun?
N
rustybarrel

Post by rustybarrel »

Hi
I am from India. Working as an engineer in oil and gas industry. I first came to know about Stirling engine when I was in college. There we tried to built a stirling engine with R22 as working fluid. Failed in that attempt. Its only now that I am again bitten by stirling engine bug. I brought a readymade engine from website from India then I wanted to built a engine of my own. It will be good learning from all you experinced guys.
Thanks
Rustybarrel
skvamme

Post by skvamme »

Hi,

Thanks for accepting me. Swedish software architect. Want to build a sterling engine.

/Stina
SolarFreak

Post by SolarFreak »

I come armed with a small foundry, a 50+ year old clausing lathe, solar power and 1 non-functional Stirling build...
jehan12413

Post by jehan12413 »

Hi I'm the new guy today.
John
ColonelKorn

Post by ColonelKorn »

Hi. I'm Tommy and I've been a machinist for 27 years. I always wanted to build engines larger than models for practical purposes.
relevantstuf

Post by relevantstuf »

Hello, I'm John from Sydney Australia.
Have built several hot air engines, the first being a modified Boyd's Tin Can.
Thanks for allowing me to join.
AirRooCo

Post by AirRooCo »

Hi,
I'm Airrooco from Taiwan, stay in Melbourne for the next few month.
I'm looking for a LTD stirling generator which running between 35°C and 80°C.
Hope the thermal-electrical efficiency could over 20%.

Best regards,

Airrooco
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

AirrooCo, I don't think so! A low temperature Stirling Engine cannot get to these efficiencies, an engine like this is lucky to have enough power to turn its self over without any extra load, maybe 1% or 2% at a stretch. But welcome all the same, follow the threads, read , and you could learn a thing or two. Ian S C
vamoose

Post by vamoose »

Airrooco, check this link... (for theoretical max carnot/caloric engine cycle efficiency)
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... arnot.html
this is before anything has even turned and a multitude of other losses/inefficiencies have been considered.

vamoose
Last edited by vamoose on Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.