New Members PLEASE read! - OR, having problems registering, being deactivated

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Rogetit

Re: "Hi...We are new here!" First posts here (or anywhere is OK)

Post by Rogetit »

Hello! I am new to the Forum. I found Stirling engines to be very interesting and they have many advantage.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Hello everyone!
I'm Fred from Switzerland. I'm 35 years old, I recently made my first stirling engine from scratch (tin cans) and I'm looking for informations about sizing a FPSE. I think I'm in the right place!
As you maybe could read, ... English is not my mother tongue, I speak French so please be indulgent with my English...
Kourosh

Post by Kourosh »

Hi all.

I've been reading your great posts and huge amount of info here for a while and I recently joined the community. I would love to be able to improve my knowledge with your help.

Thank you.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein
mimerz

Post by mimerz »

Hi all,

Thank you very much for registration and of course for all the useful information that is being posted in this forum!
I'm rather new to the subject, but already gave it a first try. My goal is to build a stirling engine in order to power my barbecue spit on the fire. I decided on a Beta-Type design with a diaphragm as a working piston. My machining skills are continuously getting better, but I'm not yet confident in going for a close-fit cylinder solution - that's why.

So I'll try to make my first engine run and would be very glad on your opinions and recommendations.

Best
Michael
DLantz

Post by DLantz »

New here. I am an engineer with a strong interest in heat engines. My particular interests are non conventional, untried concepts... hence none of my attempts have worked to date. I'm hoping to change that with the collective knowledge of this group!
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

First thing to do before you build an untried design is to find a simple, conventional design, and build that and get it working. You are now part way to getting something else working. good luck. Ian S C
DLantz

Post by DLantz »

Thank you Ian!
junkrigsailor

Howdy from the sticks of Missouri

Post by junkrigsailor »

Howdy, all.

I'm an old geezer, disabled veteran, no longer employed, with a lifelong fondness for gadgets. I've known Stirlings existed for some years but have just lately become fascinated by them.
I have a particular interest in understanding and attempting to do actual work with the low temperature difference designs. I have a vision of building a biggish one into the deck of our well house, exposing one plate to the cool of the dug well and heating the other with a passive solar "tin can panel," and using it to pump water into elevated storage. Since we would only be drawing on the water for a couple big animals, some cats, dogs, chickens and small gardens, I wouldn't have to move much per hour. We don't make personal or household use of the water.
Since I haven't even built my first table top mini model, I obviously have a ways to go. But it's fun to think on.

Jeff
Hmm. I wonder if *this* will work... :question) :question)
Ledlights

Post by Ledlights »

Hi All,

I'm a scientist and DIY enthusiast who has an interest in Stirling engines. When I first found them on Youtube, I was hooked and I'm particularly interested in the practical applications of FPSEs. I look forward to contributing.

Steve
Isna

Re: Registering, and Deactivated...PLEASE READ!

Post by Isna »

Another new member here. I hope to contribute in the future (I'm working on my third engine), but I first have plenty of threads to read... Plenty of precious info and great ideas in the older threads.
mlappin

Post by mlappin »

Guess I’m the newbie now.

I’ve seen sterlings in the past on youtube and was intrigued then, may have a use for em when we do trade shows. I sell the HeatmasterSS brand of gasifying outdoor wood boilers and we just got done with the biggest four day festival in Indiana, haven’t heard this years totals yet but last year they had over 500,000 people thru it. First three days were great far as weather, the wife even had a light jacket on the a few times the first couple of days, the last day was miserable though, high 80’s and humid.

Next year I think I’ll actually be allowed to run a boiler for a live demonstration or a live burn as we call it, thinking was this, with an endless supply of 180 degree water, I was wondering if a sterling could be built to run off that for the heat supply, then use the stirling to run a small auto alternator then that would be hooked to a battery to even out the power supply, run an inverter off the battery to power a small high efficiency window AC unit as I had several comments today that if I could make the stove blow cold air they’d buy it on the spot :big smile:

I already have a pretty decently equipped shop with two MIG machines, a plasma cutter, a standard and large drill press, a Bridgeport and a lathe, plan on doing a few kits first before actually trying anything from scratch. If something is needed that I don’t have I have a friend that has a very well equipped shop that he turns experimental parts out for turbine fuel control systems.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

mlappin, you are sure set up to build a Stirling Engine, try a small one first, then rather than an auto alternator, find a suitable sized DC motor with permanent magnet, either field or armature, brushed will give you DC out, brushless AC out. Auto alternators are too inefficient, and need high revs before they will strike and generate. DC motors, treadmill machines, larger old stile printers, copy machines.
Ian S C
Alexandr

Post by Alexandr »

Hi! I am Alexander, I'm from Ukraine.
I am the inventor, and I have interest of Stirling engine.
In RU-net Stirling topic is died. And I'm here.
Sorry my English is very bad.
WildBillCody

Post by WildBillCody »

Alexandr, your English is way better than my Russian :)

Hi,
Mike from the US, I just found out about Stirling engines about two months ago, I have made three so far from soda cans, I really want to make a bigger one and I am on the lookout for supplies. I have always loved steam engines and the old hit and miss engines, I love that the Stirlings are so simple.
Thanks for having me.
brian hughes

Post by brian hughes »

Hi, I'm new here... except that I'm not. I've registered about 3 years ago, but such is the state of my memory that I'd completely forgotten about it. I'm in the UK, my main interest at the moment is charcoal making stoves, so I've more heat than I know what to do with. And that's why I'm here. The question on my mind at the moment is: if a limiting factor on a combustion powered Stirling engine is the hot flue gas->metal->working fluid heat transfer, could the flue gas not itself be used as the working fluid? The displacer draws in a charge of hot flue gas, displaces it into the cold area, and uses reed valves to maintain a throughput? I might be better looking at flame licker engines, but any comments are welcome.