New Members PLEASE read! - OR, having problems registering, being deactivated

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Trevor

Re: "Hi...We are new here!" First posts here (or anywhere is OK)

Post by Trevor »

Hi all. My name is Trevor and I have had some difficulty getting in, but I am please to say Darryl Boyd helped me to get here. I am a retired desal engineer who is interested in Hot Air engines and have made a few different types, these being small and mostly of aluminium. Just recently made one of SS and looking forward to some help from those that can.
Regards Trevor
James

Post by James »

Hi everyone,

I am James. I came across a YouTube video about Stirling Engines recently and I am now absolutely hooked! It amazes me what the potential of this machine can be if we resolve a few of the remaining technical issues. I would like to see it one day becoming an open source technology that can be available to anyone and everyone to benefit from if they so chose to build it.

Happy building everyone!
Kashtan

Post by Kashtan »

Hi to all.
I am Igor. My interesting overclocking of computers, through all the available cooling options based compressors, reached Stirling. I hope I will find the answers here.
Best regards.
AA14142

Re: "Hi...We are new here!"

Post by AA14142 »

Hi everyone!

I'm new in this forum.
I'm a computer technician, but I have always been passionate about new engine and energy saving.
One month ago I got a success building a quarter-wavelength thermoacoustic standingwave generator, this cause in me a desire to increse my knowledge! And this I Think is the right place.

Good luck to everyone!
richjbarnett

Post by richjbarnett »

Hi All,

I'm Richard.

I'm a mature student in my final year of B.Eng Mechanical Engineering. My background is pretty much all engineering biased. I work as a precision engineer so have access to a wide range of machinery, lathes, mills, tigs etc etc. I've looked at Stirling engines over the years but have decided to design and build one for my final project.
cbstirling2

Post by cbstirling2 »

Hello,
My name is Chris and I am technically minded, but I am mainly here for curiosity.
CBStirling2
wromble

Re: Registering, and Deactivated...PLEASE READ!

Post by wromble »

Hello all,

I'm a pure real beginner, but love my mittle stirling engines. Now, I would like to begin to build some.

Best wishes to you all,

Antoine,
Nancy, Lorraine, France (<-- not 3 surnames, but a city, a region and a country :)
sbooder

Post by sbooder »

Hi All,
newbie here. I have just ordered one of those cheap Chinese engines from an online shop to get to grips with the principles and am gathering parts for my own creation. I have built a single piston lamina flow engine before using the free Airpot piston sample, but not a Stirling engine with displacer and piston.

I have just removed the compressor unit from one of those power-tanks (which I use to power my telescope) and the piston section seems almost ready made for the job of the power piston, just a few modifications and sourcing the actual piston. The piston that is already in there is not adequate for the job. If anyone else has used one of these, maybe they have some tips for me? Always willing to learn.

Thanks & kind regards,
Simon.
Kind regards,
Simon
curiosity

Post by curiosity »

Hey G'day,

Well I started collecting and fixing steam and Stirling Engines seemed to take over. So now its Stirling engines with an interest in flame lickers and steam. lol..
Hutch687

Post by Hutch687 »

Hi, I'm new to the site, and I am building a large LTD Stirling Engine to power my home!
Lindom

Post by Lindom »

Well now.
This being my first post I'll take this opportunity to say hello to every other Sterling Engine enthusiast in the world. Hi All .

I live in Lincoln in the UK and have been retired now for 16yrs and building Sterlings helps me keep my mind active.

Nice place to pick some one's brains when my constructions don't go to plan.

Thanks a lot.

Lindom
(Michael)
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Welcome Michael, Stirling Engines are addictive, but apart from the occasional burnt finger, reasonably harmless.
Ian S C
thenewenginemaker

im new

Post by thenewenginemaker »

so hi everybody im a engineer just starting to learn some skills and i would like to make a stirling engine myself and i am 17 years old
justinhcase

Post by justinhcase »

Hi.
I am Justin ,I live in Devon England and have a love of all systems and artisan methods of production.
Most of my free time is spent making new equipment as I find off the shelf kit a waste of time.
PetePeterson

Post by PetePeterson »

Hi, my friends call me Pete. I first read of Stirling Engines while in grade school (mid 60s) and the caption read, "mow your lawn from the heat of a match". I knew it took more energy to mow a lawn than a match could provide. So for a long time when I saw/heard "Stirling Engine" I thought 'ya sure' and ignored it. Then when the internet took off, I saw pictures of LTD Stirling Engines and decided to make one. I used material from the scrap bin at a friends machine shop. I only had to buy the clear plastic tube for the displacer cylinder. Yep, it ran on a cup of hot water. This was in 1998, big hit at work (engineering dept). It was dropped by someone while I was in a meeting, bending the crank, bottom plate, and cracked the displacer cylinder. Years later I re-built it spending more time to balance and fine tune it. It now runs really well on a few ice-cubes.
When my LTD first ran, I started learning all I could about the different versions of Stirling & Hot-Air engines. I have gone to a lot of shows and met a lot of really smart & nice people. I have found lots of good information online, and of course lots of SCAMs.
Once I learn how to post pictures and links on this site I will post what I have.
---
Pete