New Members PLEASE read! - OR, having problems registering, being deactivated

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Bluechip

Re: "Hi" We are new here!

Post by Bluechip »

Hi Folks

Obligatory first post.

Me? Retired IT Tech. Myford S7, Warco WM16 Mill, other odd bits.
Made first Stirling about 1974, went well. Next one, own design, refused to run.

So, back again ... some 35 years later. Certainly older, wiser open to question.

Dave
Approtechie

First post by newby

Post by Approtechie »

Hey, y'all! I live in Arkansas, interested in all aspects of international development/appropriate technology/community development. I train folks going into other cultures including practical technologies that can make a difference in the lives of poor and needy people. Thus, I work with hand pumps, ram pumps, solar cookers, water catchments, water purifiers, and so on. And, of course, Stirling engines! I was bit with the Stirling bug in 1973 when I gave a technical report on them and utilized a transparent working model that the school had. In 1980-81 I built two engines in the Philippines, the first didn't run, the second ran pretty well. That last one used a regenerative displacer made from stacked SS fine mesh disks, and the drive was a "Ross yoke". I'd never heard of Andy Ross and his yoke drive, but I got the idea from an old book on mechanisms. Power piston was from a foot-powered air pump in a honed steel cylinder. Wood frame and pillow block bearings, fairly large cast iron flywheel.
27 years later I started building them again, having acquired my own shop. Built several pop can engines and now use SS water bottles for the cylinders. You can see them on YouTube if you search for Approtechie. My latest little beta engine puts out 10 watts of shaft power.
I have much to learn and many ideas to try out, so I'm glad to have found this resource. Looking forward to interacting!
Thuffman

Post by Thuffman »

Hi i'm working on my first engine, a coke can one. Hoping to learn the mathematics behind the sterling cycle.
nate

Post by nate »

Hello. I'm interested in developing a 100W-1000W stirling, (like all of the other thousand folks).

I've got one proto type I'm working on, but I'm like Edison and the light bulb; I haven't made a thousand mistakes, I've just discovered a thousand ways not to do it!
BEV

Post by BEV »

Hello from SW-TN.
I may be bugging you folks for more & more info as time goes on.
I haven't built Stirling engine yet, but I have some ideas and am
gathering supplies.

Thanks for setting up a forum on this most interesting topic.

RobSmith

Post by RobSmith »

Hi All,
I am new here. My wife, two boys and I will be making a move to an off grid smallholding in a year or so.
We will need to provide our own electricity and I am wanting to do this using coppiced willow as a fuel to burn for the hot side of a stirling engine.
The cold side will be our hot water, house heating, workshop heating, polytunnel heating and maybe a radiator if we need it.
The electricity generated will be stored in large batteries (probably a 48v fork lift battery pack). These are mainly for a buffer to absorb heavy short term power requirements. Conversion to 240v ac will be by using a 5kw (max) APC uninteruptible power supply. We will want a 240v ac electrical requirement of around 5.5kWh per day. With generation, charging and conversion losses I think we will need a stirling engine of around 400W output or a bit bigger.
I am hoping that I can figure out what to build by talking to you guys.

Rob
theropod2

Post by theropod2 »

Just posting a howdy. There was a technical SNAFU which eliminated my previous posts and I'm having to start over.

Take care.

RS
DavMecha

Post by DavMecha »

Heya all,

I am a mechanical engineering student who is very interested in Stirling Engines. Going to design and build my first engine prototype for my project.
Glad I found this great forum! And looking forward to interact with you guys.
desoft

Re: Tucson, AZ 3D drafter, tinkerer new to Stirling

Post by desoft »

pjarmstrong wrote:Checking in as eager but not very knowledgeable in metalwork. Tucson, AZ is perfect for solar thermal power generation and I don't want to use the high pressures involved in turbine systems. Photovoltaics are still too expensive/Kw and don't last forever. Second issue: anyone researched inexpensive heliostat systems to track the sun with a parabolic reflector? (Hmm, should start separate thread for that).
Yes I am strugling in the last hear to find "cheap" solutions about energy generation.

About a cheap system to receive reflect concentrate and absorb energy radiation you can see at
http://thermosolar.wikispaces.com/Field ... +radiation
Depending if you want to concentrate on photovoltaics or use thermosolar tecniques you may concentrate in a cheap and effective manner.
Concentration may go up to X 200.
Because some things may not be immediatelly evident feel free to contact me for clarifications and or ideas.

About the Stirling engine, new designs have been done so if you want more info on my Stirling like version ask me.
desoft

Post by desoft »

I am new too.
toodlelew

Post by toodlelew »

Hello, all

I recently became interested in Stirling engines and found this site. I'm a retired computer programmer, so you might not think me a "hardware" guy. But, I do want to build my own Stirling engine.

Specifically, I'm looking into building a "Lamina" (sic) engine; it seems fairly simple in design and construction, which is ideal for my (not so sterling) construction skills. I will greatly appreciate any advice you can give me on this project.
Lew Pitcher
reeltor

Post by reeltor »

Hi,

Never built a Stirling and didn't think they could do any work until I saw some youtube videos. One video was running a 'buggy' and several powering small boats. I thought if they can run a man around a parking lot one could be built to run a small generator. I have a very old manual lathe and mill, and will be looking for some Stirling plans to put the machines to good use
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hello,
I am new to the forum and having gleaned what info I can will undoubtedly have a go at making the
Walking beam engine from cans. Thanks Mr Boyd for the website and for posting the plans. I particularly
benefitted from the 'how it works demo'.
Best wishes, Peter Caine
1alien2

Post by 1alien2 »

Hi

After lurking for 3 weeks, I finally joined.
I built my first Beta soda can Stirling Engine about a month ago after viewing the design on Youtube.
Now I am hooked on Stirling Engines.
I am currently building a walking beam one, hope to have it ready within a couple weeks.
yo9hrb

Post by yo9hrb »

Hello, everybody!