New Stirling Engine Project India

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
marmikbhatt

New Stirling Engine Project India

Post by marmikbhatt »

Greeting dear forum readers,

Me and my team has started New project to different type of Stirling engine for Biomass fuel in India. For that purpose, We are going to develop 5 ST05-Gs to be tested with biomass Fuel (Mainly Dry Coconut shells, Wood pallets etc).

Any one interested can join us in this project, members of this project can contribute their experience and knowledge and members will get full detailed copy of the results of the tests.

Moreover, on request my team can allow members to use Stirling Engine to perform their own test.

For more details of project and it's benefit contact me. If have any question feel free to ask.
Marmik Bhatt
marmikbhatt@gmail.com
http://www.marmikbhatt.com
Ferraccio

Re: New Stirling Engine Project India

Post by Ferraccio »

Wellcome Marmik,
I think you refer to ST05 5 kW engine.
This engine seems to be beta (or gamma) type, tubes heater, atmospheric.
Yeld is low (7%), is quite in good mechanical quality.
The engine is expensive to built.

Head tubes are expensive, and may be are substituted by other devices, although this will reduce the return, that is already quite low.
Beta or gamma structures are less efficient, .....alpha is better.
My idea: the way out is to build an engine type alpha, parallel axis, and in low mechanical level (cheaper) to build.
marmikbhatt

Post by marmikbhatt »

Dear Ferraccio,

Thanks for your interest and suggestion,

The ST05G is gamma and engine efficiency is about 22%, it's ok for Industrial waste heat and biomass.

We have started making first 5 units of it as it's not that expensive to make it in India, comparing the labor and material costs.

Head tube are stainless steel tubes, which is perfect for biomass burner.

We are also planning for a 200W Stirling engine of free piston beta and 2KW for industrial waste.
I am also working on alpha design, but from design table to 1 st piece takes time!

If you can suggest a good design which is reliable for industrial use, we can make prototype and perform tests. Suggestions are always welcome.

Best regards,
Marmik Bhatt
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

As far as ALPHA type motors go, I'v only built one, loosely based on the designs of Andy Ross, using his yoke system. My one has no regenerator, and is being run at atmospheric pressure. It has a stroke of 20 mm, and a bore of 35 mm, it produces about 5 watts at the crankshaft. This type of motor scaled up, fitted with a regenoration system, and tubular heating, and cooling, and given moderate pressurisation could produce conciderable power. Ian S C
onecycleDan1990

Post by onecycleDan1990 »

There seems to be some confusion regarding which engine is being built.

The st05g is a 500 watt gamma type engine designed and at one point sold as a casting kit by Dieter Viebach of Kolbermoor, Germany. It is 15 % efficient iirc (haven't read about it in a couple years) with a non recuperative burner, and could exceed 20% with on iirc Image

What people seem to be thinking about is the St5, originally designed by sunpower, adapted by stirling tech and according to posts in another forum by Cathrine Chagnot, ruined by Merric Lockwood. (I recall somewhere a photo of an st5 which Ms. Chagnot wrote her name on in blood, in order to drive home the point that it was not lockwood's engine)

the st5 is shown here Image
Ferraccio

Post by Ferraccio »

Marmick,
If the design of ST is OK, copy it, and test it.
If there is really no expensive there is no problem..., right?
(I think is however expensive, also in India..., also in India may be costs as a luxury car ... built in India).

Yelds may be are local (internal heat converted in mechanical), or global (the energetic content of fuel related to mechanical extracted energy) many of the heat pass without enter in contact to the engine.
If you like another design, I think there is not many people that likes to do, and give you a project, as a gift, only for test it there.
In all the world exist good instruments....
There is a saying in Italy (North): if he walked, it meant that his legs were moving.
And I do not tell you what they say in southern....
Bye Ferraccio