specifications of stirling engine

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
quarts1000

specifications of stirling engine

Post by quarts1000 »

How should I know the specifications of a Stirling Engine, waste oil combustor, Furnace and heat exchanger based on a given output of the generator? how to compute these equipments for example i have a 60kW generator, 4 pole, 1800 RPM, and 60 Hz frequency.

Help me!
Ian S C

Re: specifications of stirling engine

Post by Ian S C »

quarts1000,
????, what do you want specifications of, do you want to drive the 60kW Generator, you'll need something like 90+ kW at the drive shaft, you would be better with a diesel engine. Ian S C
quarts1000

Post by quarts1000 »

Ok sir. how should I know the right stirling engine that i would buy. what's its parameters? i'm going to use waste oil as the fuel for the combustor to heat up the stirling engine and rotate up a 60kW generator. So i need to know the parameters or specifications of combustor, Furnace and the stirling engine. i also need the break horse power of the stirling engine to drive the said generator.

thanks for helping me guys.
theropod2

Post by theropod2 »

quarts1000 wrote:Ok sir. how should I know the right stirling engine that i would buy. what's its parameters? i'm going to use waste oil as the fuel for the combustor to heat up the stirling engine and rotate up a 60kW generator. So i need to know the parameters or specifications of combustor, Furnace and the stirling engine. i also need the break horse power of the stirling engine to drive the said generator.

thanks for helping me guys.
No commercially available Stirling engine exists with the shaft horsepower required to turn that generator at full power.

RS
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

What you need if you must have a Stirling Engine of that size is a large machine shop, and even larger bank balance. 60kW = 80.5HP, so a diesel engine of about 100HP, or a bit more, but not too much less would drive your generator, if theres a bit of surplus power in the diesel engine it won't have to work so hard, you will get more time between over hauls, proberbly up to 10,000 hrs if looked after. There are some very nice Japanese engines that are almost silent, well very quiet.

One example:John Deere generator set, uses aJohn Deere 6059T 6 cylinder 359 cu" (5.9L) engine rated at 134HP, it uses 5.06 gal per hour. 70dBA @ 7 meters.
The smallest motor I found was 96.8 HP supercharged driving a 60kW generator. Ian S C
quarts1000

Post by quarts1000 »

now sir. we were using a 25kW generator. is there an existing stirling cycle engine that can run my 25kW generator? links please.
thanks.
theropod2

Post by theropod2 »

Stirling engines of this size are not commercially available. Try Google if you don't believe us.
vile_fly

Post by vile_fly »

43 KW is as close as it gets. See this link. http://www.stirlingbiopower.com/STIRLING/BASSE.swf
Good luck on finding a retail price instantly. Most places do not publish an upfront price on their very big stirling engines.
I am guessing the price is around $52,374.
Image Pssst! Hey you! Yeah, you. Over here....
quarts1000

Post by quarts1000 »

i guess it is too expensive. because im in a fesibility study regarding on generating electric power using waste oil as a fuel.
quarts1000

Post by quarts1000 »

i think the price that is $52,374 is a generator set? am i right sir? because its too expensive
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

You proberbly need an old time oil engine, that will burn most oils, from fuel oil (needs a heater to thin the oil), to vegatable ouil, there may be a modern equivelent. If its an old one, its going to be big, I help look after a 26hp Ruston Hornsby single cylinder oil engine, it weighs about two tons,the weight does'nt really matter, its not going any where, and no ones going to nick it. Ian S C
Ferraccio

Post by Ferraccio »

Quart,
if you indicate in your profile the land where are you from, is more easy to understand to wich technology is for you more allowable.
In Australia, Africa and America is enough diffused the multicylinder derivated from the "Lister CS" diesel engine (England) , but now produced mainly under licence in India, and for so called "Listeroid".
Are really cheap, and may be that the delivery is more espensive than the engine cost.
In India there are many manufacturers of very different level: from the mid-level engine built in small seriae in small industrial plants, and quite single exemplary craftsmanship built up in the backyard, of an unknown level .
Is an engine very old stile, heavy, fixed on a basement, and adapt to supply mechanical power or electrical, not adapt to drive a car.
Runs with all type of exaust oils - vegoil, or to the limit with diesel oil.
Is easy to repair (is extremely simple) and very low cost for maintenance.
Is so oversized that is possible that runs ten year continuously whitout maintenace.
For lubricant may be is used the same combustible oil, if it of a minimum of quality.
Ferraccio.
bokerjony

Post by bokerjony »

In India there are many manufacturers of very different degree: from the mid-stage motor raised in sleek and stylish seriae in small break in the action plants, and quite one exemplary craftsmanship made up in the yard, of an untried concentration .
portable two way radios
organjellis22

Post by organjellis22 »

So i need to know the parameters or specifications of combustor, Furnace and the stirling engine. i also need the break horse power of the stirling engine to drive the said generator.