What is the difference between thermal lag and lamina flow engines

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Trevor

Re: What is the difference between thermal lag and lamina flow engines

Post by Trevor »

HI Crazyguy
I have built a few of these myself (thermal acoustic engines) and as yet have not got one to operate well. The ones with 3 diaphragms seem to work better than a single one, however using a piece of hose that tunes the engine will also work and it is this design that I seem to work better. Bloody frustrating sometimes. I also have used copper and is OK if you use a water cooler otherwise forget it as copper conducts the heat that fast it eventually stop beside burning the hell out of your fingers.
Trevor
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

This is a picture of the Acoustic engine that works but not good. I will get around to making it work properly one day, but with all the failures it is hard to get that enthusiasm I once had - Must be old age :big smile: .......Trevor
Attachments
Acoustic Sterling Engine.jpg
Acoustic Sterling Engine.jpg (157.58 KiB) Viewed 6566 times
tibsim

Post by tibsim »

Hi! Nobody makes lamina flow engine with a membrane so far!
Lamina flow engine works too slow frequencies for membrane and it is need more compression and versa so this engine not like when is wider the piston as tube. You can build lamina flow with water piston, or solid piston, but not membrane (or not simple)!
Lamina flow engine building is not easy, because reducer size is important also.

Simplier thermoacoustic engine this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYSLy_iAtvY
This is need very loose stack, and membrane do not puff up from heat (a very little leak).

This is the simplest, at this you can not to make a mistake:
URL removed because of it's "anti-Semitic" views. Do not re-post.
tibsim

Post by tibsim »

oarabree77 wrote:Cool
บอลโลก
Cool!
Cone membrane is very hard to build. 40 mm wide membrane is simplier and it can work surely!
Here is example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-JjUyVlINA
For generator also
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Thanks Tibsim - Hope to get mine going again soon - They looks promising with their power output.
Trevor