New to Stirling Engines...where to start?!

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
brooksbee

New to Stirling Engines...where to start?!

Post by brooksbee »

Hello Group,

I'm hoping to get some feedback. I've recently discovered this "hobby" and would like to learn a lot more. This is my reason for being here. I've read through some posts and they have been somewhat helpful but a little over my head.

Of the following engines on this site, which one would be the best to start out with and why?

https://www.heartyobsessions.com/collec ... ng-engines

Some look more intense than others. I used to build the model cars and I know this is different but I'm excited for the challenge.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Ian S C

Re: New to Stirling Engines...where to start?!

Post by Ian S C »

Hi brooksbee, what you build depends on what gear you have, if virtually none, you build a tin can motor, if you have a lathe, you can build nearly anything.. Once you deside what you want to build, then we'll help with some of your questions.
Ian S C
brooksbee

Post by brooksbee »

Hi Ian,

I do not have anything at this point. I was looking at the engine models on that site. I would assume then that they are all beginner levels...I'll start there. This is very new!

Thanks.
thanh-cuibap

Post by thanh-cuibap »

Hi brooksbee !
1/ To do it, you must know and understand about it !! Search on google "How stirling engine works"
2/ Make the simplest ones! link : http://boydhouse.com/stirling/ VERY USEFUL !!
3/ When you Really understand it, you can make it made of metal or glass...
STEP BY STEP !! SAME WITH ME .
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Hi Brooksbee - Nice to have you on the site. You will find it most enjoyable and challenging all at the same time. I see you do not gave much to start with, so your best bet is to build a soft drink can Sterling engine which you can download from the internet.
This is how I first started many years ago and as you make another you get better all the time. Most of mine are made from anything I can get my hands onto and are basically show pieces to demonstrate the workings of Sterling engine.
On this site you will get to know Ian as he is very knowledgeable and to me he is THE GURU of Sterling engines. All on this site will help where we can.
The other type you can start with is an LTD engine which is also easier to make and you learn a lot from the way they work by watching what happens to the displacer in conjunction with the piston.
Normally the ratio of displacer to the piston is 1.5 to 1 but in an LTD engine this can be anything up to 20 to 1 ratio.
Here is a copy of how a Sterling engine works from the net an boys one.
Trevor
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Forgot the list for you Brooksbee. ::eek:
Sheet 3
Sheet 3
Notes on Hot Air Engines 3.jpg (528.71 KiB) Viewed 8797 times
Trev
Attachments
Sheet 0
Sheet 0
Notes on Hot Air Engines.jpg (425.46 KiB) Viewed 8797 times
Sheet 2
Sheet 2
Notes on Hot Air Engines 2.jpg (371.93 KiB) Viewed 8797 times
cbstirling2

Post by cbstirling2 »

There are many types of Stirling engines. Alpha, beta, gamma etc
Lots to read, but fun to learn
CBStirling2
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

The reason I asked what gear you have is that I build my motors from solid, using a lathe, milling machine, and a gas torch for brazing, but you don't need all that rubbish if you build one of the many tin can motors, and these can be most satisfying to run, and if well made, quite(for a Stirling Engine) powerful.
Ian S C