New Members PLEASE read! - OR, having problems registering, being deactivated

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Lindum

Re: "Hi...We are new here!" First posts here (or anywhere is OK)

Post by Lindum »

Hi all, First post of many I hope. I'm not an engineer or anything fancy like that, just a lonely old man that likes building these fantastic models of Robert Stirling's engine.

I'm in the middle of my third engine at present. Just the usual a bunch of coca-cola cans I found in a bin. Not that I've always got my head in a bin, but sometimes you just can't help yourself.

Finally found a use for the standard can and all those bits of wire I seem to save after a job. Got a box full of those.

Anyway I'll stop rambling and get off looking around your great site.

Thanks for letting me join.

Michael.
(Lindum)
Recycla

Post by Recycla »

Good evening all ---------- HI
What's the world coming to --- a forum for metal munching troglodytes of the nocturnal kind

Yee ha

Feel very much at home already

Cheers all
markt1

Post by markt1 »

Hi everyone. Markt1 here. Interested in medium sized 100 watt output gammas. Have gathered lotsa parts to build my 1st try soon.
andonrangelov

Post by andonrangelov »

Hi Friends,
I am new here and probably like most of you I have a passion about Stirling engines.
I am interested to make a self start LTD Stirling engine that can do some useful work. I intend to use it for solar power applications. Probably the metronome heat engine (https://youtu.be/EaDMd4TJuuU), introduced to the public by Tibsim and Attila Blade, is the one that I am seeking for but lets see if the forum suggest something better....
cornemuse

Post by cornemuse »

New here, registered today 04-30.
I'm a retired heavy equipment operator, 40 years worth! Just turned 70.
Located in Socal.
I love to tinker! Have welders, lathes, an old Umimat lathe, a Sherline lathe, a really old Clausing 8" lathe, a WWII navy 18" milling machine, etc, etc, Bought the Unimat new, all else scrounged, garage sales bartered etc. (completely full garage!

Always interested in steam & stirling engines, never made a stirling, yet. Made numerous steam engines, first at about age 11 or 12.

What else to add??

-cornemuse-

regd on numerous computer forums & several welding forums.
Martyn L

Re: Registering, and Deactivated...PLEASE READ!

Post by Martyn L »

Hello, I'm a new member here. Currently trying to build an inverted V12 beer can Stirling engine. Look forward to gaining valuable information on this forum.
Cheers Martyn L
Eric R_o_M

Post by Eric R_o_M »

Hiya. Working on my first stirling, making many mistakes, learning. ;)

Wondered: is trying to use a corrugated-sided tin can immediately a non-starter? Considering the slop allowed around the displacer, I didn't think it would make a fatal difference, but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks!
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Eric, that should be OK. Welcome to the forum.
Ian S C
Pedro Alves

Post by Pedro Alves »

Hi folks.

Im Pedro, From Brasil. Now studing a stirling engine to buy or built to use the wated energy in our coal making business. Maybe beggin with 1kw?

After a research i think this is the best option: https://seftonmotors.com/products/volo-one-engine

Someone have tips about ir? Thanks!
frankleering

Post by frankleering »

hello, hi from holland here, i'm frank, i'm very interested in the boards on this forum, to feed my hunger for knowledge about stirling engines, i am especialy curious for where people find all their parts and/or how to produce them, i haven't built one working yet, because i am waiting for some parts i ordered on ebay, but in the inbetween time for their arrival i can wonder around here a bit...
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Hello Frank, we are still here, but things are a little quiet. I machine the parts for my Stirling Engines, The ones I have built range from a power cylinder bore of 10 mm to about 55 mm. Here is the smallest one, as usual (for me) it's my own design. The over all length is 170 mm, and the flywheel is 50 mm diameter.
Ian S C

[img]
032 (640x480).jpg
032 (640x480).jpg (131.81 KiB) Viewed 23297 times
[/img]
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Here's another type that is simple to make, and if you have a log burner it will sit on that and distribute the heat around the room
Ian S C
[img]
Test 053 (800x600).jpg
Test 053 (800x600).jpg (75.41 KiB) Viewed 23244 times
[/img]
davesat420

Post by davesat420 »

hi everybody.i plan on learning a whole lot from all this talent you have here.I'm a retired boilermaker and tinkerer.this should be fun!
adamj537

Re: Registering, and Deactivated...PLEASE READ!

Post by adamj537 »

Hello!

I'm an electrical and software engineer, who is interested in learning more about engine design.

Cheers,

Adam J.
adamj537

Re: "Hi...We are new here!"

Post by adamj537 »

Hello, I'm an electrical and software engineer who is interested in learning more about engine design. Glad to have found this forum :)

Cheers,

Adam J.