New Members PLEASE read! - OR, having problems registering, being deactivated

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
austin

Re: "Hi...We are new here!" First posts here (or anywhere is OK)

Post by austin »

Thanks
David34

Post by David34 »

Hello everyone !

:)
johnson083

Post by johnson083 »

Hello, I am a new member here, are starting to learn about Stirling Engine.

I started from this clip. Then come here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gQb2sNSCR888

Nice to meet you :big smile:
steedspeed

Post by steedspeed »

Hi everyone. I'm 51 this year and got my first introduction to stirling engines back in 1980 when I was a school kid. I was more interested in model steam engines back then and my good friend and mentor Les Warnett helped me learn the design and machining process. These days I have a very successful company manufacturing performance turbo manifolds for cars and trucks. As such, I have many big, beautiful CNC machines at my disposal and I have started working on a design for a hot air engine that should be very powerful for its size. I'm sure most of you believe that anything that could be thought of has already been tried but i think I might have the advantage of fresh eyes. My hope is to create a powerful generator that is fuel efficient and very quiet running. Cheers to all you fellow innovators and hot air engine enthusiasts.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Welcome to the forum Steedspeed.
Ian S C
JL1877

Post by JL1877 »

Hi everyone! I'm a 32 year old former professional futures trader who just can't seem to get away from building things. I do have a passion for stirling engines, but have focused solely on ones that incorporate the rhombic drive. I'm also heavily involved in thermoacoustics, the standing wave type engines, just for the fact of their simplicity, reliability, and lack of moving parts/sliding seals.
DangerouslyExplosive

Post by DangerouslyExplosive »

Hello! Great site you got here! Looking forward to learnin' new stuff!
Tars

Post by Tars »

Howdy . I've been lurking for years and would like to express my gratitude for the knowledge that forum members have shared . I will post something as soon as I make that transition from the vaporware in my head to some real world hardware (the tricky part :wink: ). Thanks again folks .
CrisGws

Post by CrisGws »

Hi there
omblauman

Post by omblauman »

Hi I am a retired physicist living in venice Italy, if you ever pass by please call in, will talk about Stirling engines or this fascinating city where I now live, Oscar
Administrator
Owner
Owner

Post by Administrator »

omblauman wrote:Hi I am a retired physicist living in Venice Italy, if you ever pass by please call in, will talk about Stirling engines or this fascinating city where I now live, Oscar
Hi Oscar. I was in Venice year before last. Fascinating place. Actually my favorite place was the markets (fish). That was over whelming!!

From our window where we stayed.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3fFR5Z ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
Yorky

Post by Yorky »

Hello Everybody,

My eyes are bleeding from to much studying, but I finally have got to a point that I am confident enough to start something.

Just thought I would introduce myself and thank all that have contributed to this forum in the past, perhaps I can recipricate with details of my build.

I mention this because I do not see many "How To" or "This Is How I Did It" type threads. Is the any objection to cataloguing my progress, warts and all ?

I will post the start up details probably tomorrow and see what the response is.

In the meantime, thanks again. I would not have got here without you all.

Toodlepip

Yorky
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Yorky, go for it, at least I will follow along. Oh and welcome to the forum.
Ian S C
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

Hi everybody,
Im a racingengine builder and developer who find every kind of technology interesting. Ive had my eyes on the Stirling Engine for some years now, bought a small tablesize demo engine for studying and been designing my own engine in my head.
About a year ago my brother got me into cryptocurrency mining and we built a couple of mining rigs. First off it went golden but as the cryptos falled and electricity prices rised its not that funny anymore. Thats when my brother triggered me to finally build the Stirling Engine and produce our own electricity.

Im still in the last designing phase but soon to start the build. My way is to try to use an automotive V8-engine and convert into four Alpha-style Stirling Engines in 90 degrees offset. I have the flow pattern of cold and hot water sorted out but Im stuck at how to design the regenerator. My thought was to design it in parallell of all four Engines but separated in flow so that all Engines got to use eachothers heat in the reverse flow phase.

Has anyone here any actual success doing what Im doing or am I out on deep water here?

/Patrik "Pacman"
voxelman

Post by voxelman »

New here with an interest in developing the use of a Stirling engine for off grid power. My current grid tied consumption averages about 33 kWh/day; annualized to 12 MWh. I have grid tied solar that has until recently produced enough power to make our system net zero. The name plate capacity of the system is 11 kW consisting of 44 - 250 watt panels with Enphase M215 micro inverters that provide split phase 240 AC power. I will be adding another 12 - 345 watt panels in the spring with Enphase IQ7+ micro inverters.

However, our utility has informed us that they will be installing a smart meter on our system within the next year and if our attempts to opt out of this change aren't successful we will disconnect from the grid as soon as we are contractually allowed.

I am retired as of this past September with a background in surveillance video systems concealment design and manufacturing. I am familiar with many of the manufacturing resources in my region and have several friends and acquaintances that share my technical proclivities.

I have been reading far and wide on the subject of Stirling engines and realize that developing them is not a walk in the park. I found the information about the ST-5 and the NASA free piston engines the most compelling. I would like to look at the possibility of providing heat to these designs using a rocket stove type system because of their high efficiency and clean burning characteristics. I live in a rural area that is heavily agricultural and plan to investigate the use various forms of agricultural "waste" as a fuel source.

On another subject I would like to investigate is the use of geothermal temperature differences to drive a sterling engine. I realize that the low temperature differences in these systems may make them impractical. But the idea that a 1500 - 2000 foot deep well might be able to supply a life time supply of energy for a home is hard to ignore though it is probably to good to be true. As the matter stands our home was built with a geothermal ground source heat pump system with 2 - 150 foot wells that makes our HVAC energy costs significantly lower.

So as the say in virtually every YouTube video: "Lets get started!"