Propane burner design

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
mhafele

Propane burner design

Post by mhafele »

Any recomendations for literature on propane burner design?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Ian S C

Re: Propane burner design

Post by Ian S C »

If your displacer is either horizontal or vertical with the hot end down it's easy, use the burner from a camp stove. If the displacer is vertical, hot end up I make a hollow doughnut shaped ring with holes (2 row, 24 or 3 row 36 holes 1/16" or 1.5 mm seems to work) the jet, tap from the camp stove is attached to this. This latter method seems the best design to me, heat rises, so the cold end is down below the heat.
Ian S C
[img]
Test 008 (640x480).jpg
Test 008 (640x480).jpg (185.55 KiB) Viewed 6184 times
[/img]
Alfista

Propane burner construction plans

Post by Alfista »

If you would like construction plans, you could try Steam & Stirling Engines You Can Build, Book 3. There is an article : "A Simple Hot Air Engine Burner" by Kenneth Duncan.

Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

James G. Rizzo also discusses burners in his books on hot air and Stirling Engines, Vol 1 & 2 of "The Stirling Engine Manual", and "Modelling Stirling and Hot Air Engines".
Ian S C
[img]
DSC00839 (640x480).jpg
DSC00839 (640x480).jpg (190.39 KiB) Viewed 6173 times
[/img]
mhafele

Post by mhafele »

Ian S C wrote:James G. Rizzo also discusses burners in his books on hot air and Stirling Engines, Vol 1 & 2 of "The Stirling Engine Manual", and "Modelling Stirling and Hot Air Engines".
Ian S C
[img]
DSC00839%20(640x480).jpg
[/img]
Been reading rizzo's book. Briefly discusses burner design. Guess I'm looking for more details on design and sizing with dimentions and calculations Being that I'm playing with fire I want to use proven information.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

My ring burners have a gap of about 10 mm between it and the hot cap. I have been using them for about 25 years with no trouble with LPG, the only time I have a problem is trying to run a motor in the middle of winter with the temperature in the workshop about zero C, the gas just does not have any pressure. Give it a go, you only need mild steel, and put it together with either bronze or silver solder.
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Hi Ian - In the winter time you could possibly wrap a few coils of tubing around the hot end to make the cold frozen gas into a liquid for full firing.
Trev
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

I use a 5kg cylinder of gas, if I really need to use it I take it into the house, and put it in a tub of hot water.
There was one chap in an article in Model Engineer magazine who after building his motor found that with his small gas tank it froze with the high discharge rate, at the same time he was having trouble with the water cooling boiling, solution, put the gas cylinder in the cooling water, then it was just a case of balancing to get the right temperature ratio.
Ian S C