Big size stirling

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
CrisGws

Big size stirling

Post by CrisGws »

Friends, my name is Cris and I just joined this forum. I work with a small environmental company that it is developing a waste to energy system. This system has a boiler where the inside temperature will be kept at around 800 degrees celsius. What would be the biggest size capacity engine I could attached to that? Or in another words, what is the biggest size stirling engine available on the market now? I deeply appreciate your inputs on this.Thank you. Cris
Ian S C

Re: Big size stirling

Post by Ian S C »

Cris, you don't tell us anything about the size of your "boiler", it may well be 800*C, but is it the size of a match box or a house?
Ian S C
CrisGws

Post by CrisGws »

Ian S C, thanks for the question, you're right, I forgot that. The boiler would be build to adapt/connect the stirlings in it, therefore, can be pretty much any reasonable size. Lets say, for the sake of an example, a 2m height by 4m width to start. Thank you.
Blaf

Post by Blaf »

Stirlings of several meters in size were built a century ago. Modern engines are usually much smaller units with increased efficiency via modern engineering and increased working pressures.

Maybe you could plug more such smaller engines in boiler of this size?

Largest stirling i know about is built by Kockums and used in Gotland class submarines. Might be quite difficult to persuade them to sell one to civilian though :)
CrisGws

Post by CrisGws »

Blaf, yes, I thought about do a stirling farm, as we can adapt the "boiler" to it. What would be a good size for the small ones? Do you know a good manufacturer? Thank you.
Blaf

Post by Blaf »

There are companies like e.g. Inresol, Whispergen, Microgen or Sefton motors manufacturing commercially available stirling engines.
Unfortunately i don't have any experience with any of these, but maybe others will be able to tell you some referencies.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

If you go down the index page a little bit you will see "High Power Stirling Going Into Production".
Ian S C
CrisGws

Post by CrisGws »

Thank you, Ian and Blaf
Blaf

Post by Blaf »

You are welcome. Don't forget to share your results :)