Need advice buying my first sterling engine

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Austin1994

Need advice buying my first sterling engine

Post by Austin1994 »

I'm new to the world of sterling engines, and would like to obtain one. I want a real sterling engine in the relm of 30hp, but would be still Interested in smaller engines around 3hp and up. Any help would be appreciated my main concern is efficiency. and I welcome the idea of a custom built one if any of you build them.
Ian S C

Re: Need advice buying my first sterling engine

Post by Ian S C »

A 30hp STIRLING ENGINE is going to be quite a large machine, the well known Philips gen set produces about 200 Watts, it's around the size of a 1 to 2 KW IC gen sets, Co generation systems like the Whisper Gen produce about 1 KW of electricity, and 5 KW of heat to be used for central heating or domestic hot water. Its cabinet stands at 650 mm high x 450 mm wide x 500 deep, and I think cost something like 10,000 UK pounds, someone out there will know, although someone on the forum bought some at scrap value.
The old vintage type engines were considered OK if they gave 1hp per ton of engine.
Ian S C ps: Sterling is the UK currency.
Blaf

Post by Blaf »

Maybe you could buy several of these to reach requested power? https://www.inresol.se/products/inresol-v2-6
Austin1994

Post by Austin1994 »

I was just looking at the Inersol v2-6 yesterday I'm waiting on them for a price quote. But i do understand fully how big a 30hp sterling engine is. It's going to be placed in a commercial grow facility as a power grid. he's running diesel now but needs more power, he's looking strongly into sterling engines the idea is to use the sun when its up and gas when its not and save money. I here these setups are really efficient even without the sun but i have no clue how thay compare to diesel IC engine generators.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Generally I would say that a Stirling Engine power grid is a different technology to a diesel based one, With a diesel power unit you start up and use the power as required, then shut down. With a Stirling based power supply, you would run it full time and charge a battery bank, this bank can be recharged from multipul sources, wind power, solar, and the Stirling Engine maybe burning waste material.
You will not find a sterling engine, there is no such thing, try Stirling Engine.

Ian S C