My stirling engine school project

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
User1

Re: My stirling engine school project

Post by User1 »

User1

Post by User1 »

Also, I'm not looking to make a fast or efficient engine, I am making it for a project where I am going to show people that the Stirling engine actually exists and works.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

A good demo motor would be one third of the motor in the video, it's hard to know what is possible in another country, most of my work is done with found materials, a few bits are bought in, quite often I make my own bolts and nuts if I don't have the right size.
Obviously if you can't make a fitting piston, a diaphragm is the way too go, I like the ones in the vid.
Ian S C
User1

Post by User1 »

If I switch do diaphragm, would I have to shorten the cylinders? What should it look like? Does the Diaphragm just substitute the piston?
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

If you can't machine, or other wise form two cylinders and fitting pistons I would suggest forgetting the ALPHA type motor, and build a GAMMA motor in which the power piston can be replaced with a diaphragm. The ALPHA motor does need a bit of extra work.

Ian S C
User1

Post by User1 »

Would a Gamma Stirling engine have to resemble this?
Attachments
gamma.PNG
gamma.PNG (23.02 KiB) Viewed 16029 times
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Roughly, the displacer is 1.5 times the power cylinder ie a ratio that you will come across if you read much on Stirling Engines ( 1.5 : 1), In this form it is as simple as it gets, and the power piston can be replaced with a diaphragm. With tin can motors the displacer is usually a bit bigger than the 1.5 : 1 ratio to allow the motor to run on lower heat. On your diagram the power cylinder with the diaphragm can be much shorter. Where the rod comes out of the displacer cylinder there needs to be a seal to restrict air leakage, if you have not done it yet, read Boydhouse's simple motor plans in the thread at the top of the index page of the forum.

Ian S C
User1

Post by User1 »

Is that okay?
Attachments
gamma 2.PNG
gamma 2.PNG (20.77 KiB) Viewed 16010 times
gamma3.PNG
gamma3.PNG (16.06 KiB) Viewed 16010 times
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

That looks ok, but you may find it easier to heat the hot end if you lay it down so that the displace is horizontal, or even a bit further so that the displacer is hanging down, and you can put the heat source under the end. The last way does make the crankshaft rather high, but if you look for pictures of the old motors this is how they were built so they could have a coal, or wood fire under them.
Ian S C
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

That diagram still shows a large space behind your diaphram, which will be detrimental to the performance of the engine - make that as small as possible, so that the pipe essentially just goes straight onto the back of the diaphram.
User1

Post by User1 »

I'm planning on my engine to have 2 sets of cylinders(2x Power, 2x displacer), i have a question about the crankshaft.

Should I offset 1 of the cylinders by 180 degrees?
User1

Post by User1 »

This is what I've had in mind
Attachments
stirling engine.jpg
stirling engine.jpg (17.99 KiB) Viewed 15987 times
User1

Post by User1 »

Front view
Attachments