New Members PLEASE read! - OR, having problems registering, being deactivated

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Frontax01

Re: "Hi...We are new here!" First posts here (or anywhere is OK)

Post by Frontax01 »

Hi Thankyou for allowing me to join the forum.
I have a huge interest in the Stirling Engine.
At the moment im constructing an engine from Boyds
designs using stainless steel sections.
Frontax01
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Frontax01, good for you, you have the right idea. Welcome to the forum, and if you can show use a pic of your
motor, don't worry if it's not a video because I have not got to doing it either.

Ian S C
Sockmonkey

Post by Sockmonkey »

Hi everybody. I love gadgets and mechanical stuff in general. It's the problem solving and clever solutions that really get me going. Been reading through various posts on here to educate myself. Stirlings in general are pretty neat and once I've read through some more posts I'll start tossing out some concepts I'd like to run past you guys.
tmg120

Post by tmg120 »

Hi all Stirling Engine fans! Allow me to introduce myself: My name is Richard, and I was the Project Manager at Homach in the 80's, responsible for the detailed engineering design of Ted Cooke-Yarborough's TMG. We built several of these, (about 4 or 5, I believe) (designated the TMG120) which produced around 120W continuous power. I personally did the final tuning all these units, and installed (at least) two of these: one in Lapland, another in Ontario. I worked for Malcolm Foster, under Ted C-Y's direction. I also worked with Ron Bryenton of AGA on the Trinity House model. Somewhere in my archives I have a photo of me standing next to the Lapland TMG in a snow-suit...
Rafik_A

Post by Rafik_A »

Hello everyone,
I am new here.
I have the project to build a LTD and Low tech stirling engine in open source.
I have been working on this project, called "Stirling Vulgaris", for more than a year now, alone and self-financed, but thanks to this kind of forum, the project is progressing !
Rafik
Plex50

Re: Registering, and Deactivated...New Members PLEASE read!

Post by Plex50 »

Hello everybody
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Paul and I come from Sweden. I have been interested in stirling engines for a long time. But I haven't really had time to turn my interest into practice. but now i hope i get some more time. Have spent my working life with CNC machines, but now I look forward to using manual machines more.
Paul
KB Mpurwana

Post by KB Mpurwana »

Hi

Thanks for letting on. This forum has been most useful.
Jagang

Post by Jagang »

Hello, I'm a truck driver from the Netherlands.
And my active knowledge of the English langiage might be a bit below mediocre, since I don't get to practice a lot.

I'm 42 y/o, and Stirling (and other hot air) engines interst me, because they seem so safe and usually uncomplicated.
Some would make nice engines for some model engineering projects I have in mind.

The only problem so far is, that I seem to lack the basic skills to get one to work, which is pretty frustrating.
Despite books, youtube tutorials, etc.

Oh, well, we'll see.
GregE

Post by GregE »

Hi, I haven't apparently visited since 2018, so there is quite a bit of new stuff to discover, I'm generally a "wannabe" and professional procrastinator but I'm now retired and have collected some cans so no more excuses (yet!) to avoid building a beam engine - my favorite stirling engine.
Cheers, Greg (from Oz)
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

Hi! Thanks for letting me join! My name is Diego and currently live in Argentina. I am really interested in stirling engines as they seem like a possible power source for the future. So far I've built a simple LTD that ran on the first attempt.

I'm looking forward to building a larger engine. I'm a machinist as a hobby.

Cheers!
ob1knblome

Post by ob1knblome »

Thanks for the add, I really appreciate how fast you helped me to get registered...thanks again
HoAze

Post by HoAze »

Thanks for let me in :)
I'm located in Germany and new to this topic, but for a new personal project - Stirling engine with generator - I would like to learn more.
Open for all kind of discussions - as said by P. Picabia: "Head is round to let thoughts change their direction"

Holger
lloyd

Post by lloyd »

Hi, not new to seeing many hot air engines, but new to building one. Have seen a few working, restored full size engines in Montana and Arizona, somewhat out of my price range. At 82 years old, will try my hand at something smaller than 32E12 F M diesels and 60 h p Western gas engines. Thanks for the invite!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Thanks for letting me join.

I am keen to make a Stirling engine that looks good and am intrigued by the YouTube videos of home made tin can and LTD engines.

My first attempt has failed. Two soldered vegetable cans with a wider tuna can water bath at the top. A side arm copper tube feeding a piston and a reasonable crank arrangement.

I have tried a couple of displacers and different pistons and balloon set ups.

I have tried it with candles and on a woodburner.

For the moment I am hooked ! Lots to learn.
Howard

Post by Howard »

Hi

I've been into Stirling engines since the 1970s when I first saw a diagram of one in an encyclopedia. (I was a bookish kid). The idea of converting an external heat source into useful work seemed like a key to getting away from petroleum fuels, which were understood to be a culprit in climate change even then.
Since then I've been a mechanical engineer, burned out from office life, tried to get into the trades at a later age, and now I'm just an old dreamer, still working on stirling engines.