Metropop-pop?

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Jagang

Metropop-pop?

Post by Jagang »

Since I'm more the theory type of guy, instead of building engines myself, I wondered if the following contraption could be working.
The metronome inspired me by its simplicity, like the "pop-pop" boats once did.

The problem is that pop-pop engines aren;t really scalable, due to the physical quality of water and flash steam.
However, I saw that the column of air or water in the "diode valve" of a metronone, has an in- and out moving column of mass as well.

So I wonder if that pipe could be used to power a somewhat larger boat, in the same fashion a pop-pop boat is powered.
See figure below.
Any thoughts?
img008.jpg
img008.jpg (102.2 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
Jagang

Re: Metropop-pop?

Post by Jagang »

This one kinda nails it, allthough it should be able to be more compact with water. (more mass enables shorter pipe)
bladeattila

Re: Metropop-pop?

Post by bladeattila »

The engine has power piston. The popping effect used on the conroller tube. Yep that water moves back and forth as we wanted but the real power is on the other piston. So for the next generations of boat we should use the power piston's stroke too for pumping. Also we should use the water for cold side, and the engine could work with sun directly if the engine is LTD, or just use some heat conduction trap for the burner. So the engine could work much better than this guy built. SPS the power piston diameter ratio is not optimal for this engine on the boat actually.
The flames of ignorance doesn't hurt when you burn.