job opportunity

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
bbrennan

job opportunity

Post by bbrennan »

Stirling Engine experts,
My company in the Solar Energy space is looking at developing a high-temperature Stirling Engine system for use in one of our projects. I can't provide many details at this point, but we are looking to hire someone and start when the project gets funding. Since this is a specialized field, they might be able to work remote if they have the capabilities to design and manufacture prototypes. Take a look at the job on Indeed.
https://www.indeed.com/job/rd-engineer- ... 7197198ba6
Bumpkin

Re: job opportunity

Post by Bumpkin »

Hi bbrennan. For your solar purposes I think you're way too late to compete with photovoltaics. If you're interested in disposing of surplus development money though, I could help. Seriously though, I wish you well. I just hope you have realistic goals.

Bumpkin
bbrennan

Post by bbrennan »

Thanks Bumpkin. As for competing with PV on a utility scale, there are actually multiple ways that stirling could beat out PV, but that's a different story. We want the mechanical power, and are not going to make electricity. That's what makes this project so fun and interesting.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

Ha! sounds like a great job. "Design, test, and re-design Stirling Engine", been doing that just for fun for like, the past 10+ years. "A tinkerer of contraptions, a Jack-of-all-trades,..." my dream job.

I actually live in upstate NY, not too far from Ithaca (about a 2.5 hour drive), but no engineering degree, sorry. Looks real interesting though.

I have some big ideas for large scale energy production using Stirling engines, but the opposite of "high temperature", though you could say "large temperature differential" perhaps. A large temperature differential can be produced by going to low temperatures, which are much easier to achieve, given a natural place to dump the excess heat, like a lake, river, or ocean, or just a cooling pond.

Imagine having an ice chest (refrigerator/heat pump) where the compressor/condenser was submerged in cold running water, The compression would be almost effortless as the heat would be eliminated immediately and the gas, on expanding in the evaporator would reach much much colder temperatures. Look into bootstrap "Air Cycle" cryogenic refrigeration. As the water cooled compressed air expands through a turbine the turbine helps power the compressor which causes a conversion of heat energy to mechanical energy, which drops the temperature precipitously.

My model Stirling engine ran on boiling water for about an hour. On the same volume of ice it ran for days, with only ambient heat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFhUkzHRbWo

The atmosphere is already a solar furnace. There is hardly any need for more heat. What is really needed is efficient cooling.
normandajc

Post by normandajc »

Hi bbrennan,
To answer your proposal, I am looking for a company that would allow me to develop my new Stirling engine concept. You can watch this post
"new concept of Stirling engine" or my website http://www.cyberquebec.ca/normandajc/
The International Engine Association is looking to fund a prototype. This new type of Stirling engine is a real evolution in terms of performance and simplicity. For example with this engine, it is impossible to make cogeneration, there is no thermal loss. Your proposal would enable you to have a high-performance solar concentrator and would allow the development of my engine. Contact me if you are interested.
Tristan kearney

Post by Tristan kearney »

I’m keen 😁