how to clean the whitish soot caused by ethanol combustion

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
David34

how to clean the whitish soot caused by ethanol combustion

Post by David34 »

Hi everyone!

I always use methylated alcool / ethanol on my stirling engine. It burns almost perfectly clean and with no fumes. But over times, a kind of soot is building up on the glass cylinder where the displacer is in. Its somewhat cloudy and a bit brownish sometimes. I’ve used vinegar as I read on the Internet that it can remove soot on ethanol fireplace. But unfortunately it doesn’t seem to work very well. I’ve used also methylated alcool but with no success. What are you using to clean up your stirling engine?

Thank you !
Jagang

Re: how to clean the whitish soot caused by ethanol combustion

Post by Jagang »

As long as it doesn't interfere with the operation of the engine, I would not bother too much about it.
David34

Post by David34 »

Thank you for your reply. I have a Hog stirling and as you know the displacer is in a glass dome and my question was more from an aesthetic point of view than functional. I just want to keep my stirling engine in a pristine condition but it is almost impossible I guess if you are using it 😉
Jagang

Post by Jagang »

I don't know, since others haven;t reacted yet, but I guess replacing the glass tube could be an option if nothing else works?
The high temperatures of a blue flame might just change the glass as time goes by.
I got a second tube with my "ready to run" engine.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

If it is 'whitish' then clearly not soot, so what is it actually? Work that out and you'll be a bit closer to knowing how to clean it. In other words, what impurities are you dealing with - Meths has something in it to make it poisonous and give it colour.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

I have no personal experience with it, but we were recently looking into buying a coal burning stove. The coal stove burning away in the Amish stove showroom had a glass viewing port that was covered in some kind of soot that made it difficult to see through.

There are various products for cleaning these glass coal stove windows, and I would think, given coal burns very hot and relatively clean, and can be converted to ethanol, it may be some similar hard to clean substance.

I don't have a coal stove yet, and can't recommend any specific product, but there are several on the market. Might be worth a try as well as some diy cleaners, some recommend baking soda.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

You might try a polishing compound. They are available at auto parts stores.

I often use Pepsodent tooth paste on many things. And a soft cloth or tissue. Maybe dampen the cloth. Have not tried it on what you are asking.

Not all toothpaste works that way. Pepsodent is one I know.