Condensation in LTD Stirling

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Junkie

Condensation in LTD Stirling

Post by Junkie »

All of my LTD Stirlings seem to suffer from condensation inside of the displacer cylinder, has anybody else had this problem, if so, how
did you stop it ? It doesn't seem to affect the engines performance though, but it doesn't look nice!
DSC05231.JPG
DSC05231.JPG (135.17 KiB) Viewed 4959 times
http://www.scraptopower.co.uk My web site, Stirling engines and AE stuff.
PKM

Re: Condensation in LTD Stirling

Post by PKM »

I have had this problem as well, though I thought it might be due to some residue left inside the displacer cylinder. I just leave the engine with the piston taken out if it's standing for long periods, because the condensation wasn't doing wonders for the brass piston :shock: though I haven't seen it recently.

I suspect this happens because the engine sucks in outside air as it cools after use- is it worth adding a removable bung to engines to let them "breathe" in storage?
jimlarsen

Post by jimlarsen »

Condensation is the result of humid air and decreasing temperatures. Warm air can hold more moisture than cool air. It does not necessarily come from a leak. It could be the humidity that was in the environment when the engine was assembled.
jimlarsen

Post by jimlarsen »

I would definitely want to clean it up and dry it out. The condensation in the picture is pretty intense.

I can imagine this happening if you are running your engine over hot water and there is enough venting around the displaced shaft to allow the moist vapor to be drawn into the pressure chamber. If that is the cause, you may be able to fix it by finding a dry heat source.
Junkie

Post by Junkie »

Well, it does go away if you dry the engine out with the diaphragm, but it returns after a few runs. The engine drawing moist air from the cup of hot water seems like the most probable explanation since I only power if off hot water.. Or I could use some tiny silica packs under the diaphragm ?

Time to find a dry heat source!

Thanks,
http://www.scraptopower.co.uk My web site, Stirling engines and AE stuff.
jimlarsen

Post by jimlarsen »

Finding a dry heat source could be a fun new challenge. I have heard of hot packs made with uncooked rice that is heated in a microwave. That might cool down too fast. You might be able to cover your water with a plastic wrap to trap the moisture in. I have considered using chemical hand warmers. They stay warm for up to 8 hours.