phillips stirling generator drawings

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
vile_fly

phillips stirling generator drawings

Post by vile_fly »

I found these diagrams of the rare and elusive phillips stirling generator. These were hard to find to say the least. I picked them up on the web last year sometime, and thought there were some interesting features. From the looks of it, the phase angle is 120 degrees, and seems to have an air pump for self-pressurization. I like the method of actuating the displacer piston. Not bad for a beta engine.
Attachments
phillips stirling2.png
phillips stirling2.png (125.44 KiB) Viewed 7040 times
phillips stirling1.png
phillips stirling1.png (184.36 KiB) Viewed 7040 times
Image Pssst! Hey you! Yeah, you. Over here....
Ian S C

Re: phillips stirling generator drawings

Post by Ian S C »

The Canterbury (NZ) University has one of those motors,in the engineering lab, I think the generator on it is rated at 200watt, 230 volts. The unit is mounted in a tubular frame, the tubing forms a reserviour for compressed air, I seem to think the air in the tubes is used for starting.The air in the motor is between 120 and 300psi. Ian S C
Ferraccio

Post by Ferraccio »

Not so elusive, I think.
I make some observations, which may perhaps facilitate an assessment of the others.
- the lever that activates the displacer is interesting because it involves a small displacement from the vertical, it avoids a real rod, replaced by a steel flexible plate: cost reduction and simplification of the joints.
- The beta system while minimizing the dead space between recuperator motor piston has held two auctions for the coaxial and difficult lubrication and refrigeration, I think may be better to use "gamma" type with range pistons side by side, parallel, may have small increase of dead space, but with simpler lubrication, refrigeration and overall sealing.
(And mechanical solution...)
- it is incredible that all machinery, including the generator, is not pressurized, is spent a lot of work (with a small compressor attached to the horizontal lever angle) to maintain pressure in the engine, and also to take charge of the "reservoir" that is the transport frame of motor.
The gas escapes constantly, in operating condition, through the seals of the flywheel. For this I do not know enough to explain.

The operations are complex in the drive starting and stopping pressurization,

Constructively need a series of tubes, valves and fittings, which you can see also in the photo of the engine.

The motor is: Philips MP1002CA, said "Bungalow Set", year:1950
See: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/alb ... 6922iLEEFG
You found there also other data, and procedure.
Ferraccio

Post by Ferraccio »

P:S: Of course "costantly" pressurized: meaning in a completely pressurized body.
vile_fly

Post by vile_fly »

Well, it looks like both of you have me beat on my knowledge of this generator set. Thanks for the information. I still have a bit to learn, it seems. I got the drawings from the website you mentioned about a year ago. I had forgot about it. I need to find a better search engine or something, because it took a long list of website links to find it.
Image Pssst! Hey you! Yeah, you. Over here....
Ferraccio

Post by Ferraccio »

All search engines are overwhelmed by the same problem, the confusion of all businesses that want to be overpower the front page, so if you set a motor find hotels in the mountains or skin creams.

Often, interesting results have driven away in the fifth page.

It is good idea to add keywords, and use " also.