Stirling engine speed/accelleration control

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
jpigg55

Stirling engine speed/accelleration control

Post by jpigg55 »

Have there been any recent methods developed for practical speed and acceleration of Stirling engines ?
So far the only methods I've found are restricting the gas flow between the hot cylinder and the power piston in Beta & Gamma type engines and a proposed idea of controlling the speed of the displacer piston.
Aside from that, the only other option listed was controlling heat input. The issue being the slow response of this type of speed control.
Speed control is not a huge issue if being used for electrical generation providing the generator output is DC or if used with an inverter generator, but that's just AC converted to DC, and then converted back to AC using electronic controls to maintain frequency and voltage.
Fool

Re: Stirling engine speed/accelleration control

Post by Fool »

Phillips used a method of pumping the gas into storage to reduce power, and releasing it, or pumping it back, into the engine to increase power. Demonstrated by a power boat.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Not something I've actually tried yet, but my idea is to de-couple the displacer from the power piston, and instead drive it with an electric motor.
In theory, the speed of the engine would directly follow the speed of the displacer, and of course if the electric motor is stopped completely, the engine will stop too.
This idea also functions as a starter-motor, which is lacking in many basic designs.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

My 60l gamma build will have mechanically variable displacer lift. I think it will provide good throttling but we will see.
Fool

Post by Fool »

Sounds awesome.