Tesla's Ambient Heat Engine revisted

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Tom Booth

Re: Tesla's Ambient Heat Engine revisted

Post by Tom Booth »

Fool wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:42 am ...
The orifice works by the pressure drop from flow. ...

...I still contend, am skeptical, that the reduced size tube is insufficient for the pump and claimed performance. Pinching the tube to make a smaller orifice might help, ...

P.S., orifices need liquid to work properly. It takes more pressure to push liquid through an orifice than gas. There wasn't enough butane put into the system to get liquefaction.
Orifice? What orifice?

You said there was no orifice.

Now I suppose you'll try to say you never said there was no orifice, though you went on and on about it.

Your last point may be true: "There wasn't enough butane put into the system to get liquefaction."

But your assertion: "orifices need liquid to work properly" is not.

Needless to say, between today and a few posts back when you vehemently denied a refrigerator could work "without an orifice" your stature as an authority on refrigeration systems has hardly risen above the level of completely clueless.

You don't think such a little butane refrigeration system could work, great, your entitled to your opinion. I think there is a chance it might.

I'm not following you around trying to twist your arm to change yours and everyone else's opinion. I could care less about your opinion. You quite obviously had no clue what an "orifice" in a refrigeration system even consists of or what it looks like.

I am, though, I think, entitled to state my own opinion: that I think the system might actually work as demonstrated,

Personally I have been trying to move on from this topic several pages back. Your the one who can't let it go and keeps trying over and over and over in every possible way to change my opinion.

So I consider your objections objectively, and point out when necessary, where I think you are in error. If you would leave me alone the subject would have been dropped a long time ago. And you ARE "tracking" me. That is virtually all you do here, turning every casual comment I make into a circus.

Most of these Tesla, anti-2nd Law threads would have been long forgotten if you did not keep bumping them to the top of the forum with your constant vendetta to discredit my experiments.

If not for having to constantly defend myself against your baseless attacks on my motives, character, credibility, competence etc. I'd probably post about, maybe once a month after video recording another experiment, which are few and far between.

I'm not the one constantly bringing up these old threads and topics. As I've said, at this point I'm more interested in applying what has been learned through empirical research and testing rather than debating theory and opinion.

Here is a screenshot from my Amazon app:
Resize_20240520_104520_0547.jpg
Resize_20240520_104520_0547.jpg (51.96 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
As maybe you can see, there are several orders for refrigeration tubing scheduled to arrive this Friday.

I do intend to replicate the little butane refrigerator just to satisfy my own curiosity.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Of course, if it works, I suppose you will still quadruple down and just claim MY video is fake as well.
Fool

Post by Fool »

Orifice=expansion valve=properly designed capillary tube=manually adjusted valve=needle valve

All of which are missing. If you expect someone to believe that a short tiny length of not much smaller diameter tubing in a system with a tiny pump is equivalent to an orifice, please show us the numbers. My gut feeling is it is not. Otherwise every off grid person would be building these for $20, instead of buying a real refrigerator for hundreds.

If you build one and get it to work, I will put trust in you that it is indeed is true. You wouldn't lie to us, would you?

On the other hand, how do I know if you have failed? I fear the only reason we know that the cold plate of your tiny little LTD increased in temperature, is that you reported it gleefully as a drop in temperature until you discovered the backwards plugs making you have to confess the truth. I understand why you don't repeat that experiment. It's easier to not test than to post what is against your own beliefs.

This refrigerator experiment might just be easier to forget to finish when the data comes up inconclusive/not the way you want. Failure to function might just be your method, materials, or amounts, right. Therefore it is fair to stop trying. A Sasquatch isn't proven to not exist because you can't find one. You and I, can't prove those fake little cooler videos, well... fake. It is probably more likely that they are.

And I don't resurrect old threads. Someone else does. I then join in. It seems appropriate. For example, this thread was started by Matt Brown. You joined in to give us this magic refrigerator distraction. I don't have any problem with the distraction. I just like to correct any apparent misinformation. I thought it would end with the YouTube video of how they are faked. You have double downed on your original belief that they work. Now, hopefully you will prove it works. If not, another cheap and easy solution, to rotting food, shot to heck.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

Fool wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:28 am Orifice=expansion valve=properly designed capillary tube=manually adjusted valve=needle valve

All of which are missing. If you expect someone to believe that a short tiny length of not much smaller diameter tubing ...
I'm not sure your looking at the same video that I posted saying it looked like it might be legit.

The cap tube I saw looked about a foot long and pretty dang skinny.
Compress_20240520_222507_7583.jpg
Compress_20240520_222507_7583.jpg (40.99 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
Compress_20240520_222507_7694.jpg
Compress_20240520_222507_7694.jpg (16.57 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
Compress_20240520_222507_7798.jpg
Compress_20240520_222507_7798.jpg (21.54 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
Compress_20240520_222507_7887.jpg
Compress_20240520_222507_7887.jpg (32.66 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
The tube is also coiled which increases the resistance due to friction and turbulence because the fluid is constantly changing direction.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

Fool wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:28 am ...
And I don't resurrect old threads. Someone else does. I then join in....
You have a short memory.

Between you and Matt If your not actually one and the same.

You just started posting to a thread that has been dead for six months:

viewtopic.php?p=20525#p20525

There is 1658 topics in this forum going back to 2006 and your always free to start your own but you choose to resurrect some old thread of mine then complain I have too many threads. Just part of your ongoing smear campaign. Liar
Fool

Post by Fool »

I had no idea I had done that. Oops. Me bad. Any other examples?

P.S., I am the Fool and no one else.

Matt is a good guy here out of good will and quite a bit over my head. I can barely keep up with him at times. Some of the others too. I also appreciate and learn from everyone here. Even you Tom, so thank you.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

Fool wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:49 pm I had no idea I had done that. Oops. Me bad. Any other examples?

Probably, but I'm not wasting any more time on the issue.

The point is, by continuing to post to these topics you are keeping them afloat, constantly bumping them to the top of the topic list.

I rarely post anything other than responding to comments, questions, or remarks, left on topics I started or directed at me or about me on other threads.

YOU are dominating the forum with your constant focus on things I say, videos of experiments I post etc. so you have no right to complain.

Also if Matt or anyone else dredges up some old topic, I think I have a right to respond on my own topic.

Personally, I would prefer it in some ways if the forum were organized into more categories so it would not appear that "Tom Booth" is overwhelming the forum, just because I respond to people's comments.
Fool

Post by Fool »

I seem to have missed the photos Tom provided.

You are gracious to give the smaller tube a foot. Perhaps, but it appears to be wrapped into a 1" circle, twice. That is about 6.3". Add a couple for the legs, gives a total of about 8". Eight to 12, "pretty darn skinny", about 1.0 mm dia. same as the for the propane one, and at just one tenth the length.

Liquid propane and butane seem to have the same viscosity, so the two will have the same pressure drop for the same flow in the same restriction. I don't think that tiny pump would produce even 1/10 the flow of the bigger pump on the propane system. So even if the needed drop were 1/10 the pressure it would still need a ten foot long capillary tube. Or an orifice.

If the butane isn't liquifying, then it will need an even longer and or smaller diameter tube.

Furthermore, look at the video's frost build up. The smaller tube is completely frosted up, and even several inches of the condenser tube before it. The cold temperatures should be highest at the end of the smaller tube closest to the expansion boiler tube. Does the video stop and go? Yes. Magic tricks technique
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

I'm done with this discussion as well.

You have your opinion, I have mine.

If I did not think there was a chance the butane fridge would work, I wouldn't bother sending for the parts to replicate it.

I've been studying refrigeration and air conditioning since taking 2 years of small engine and appliance repair in high school.

That doesn't necessarily mean a YouTube video is authentic, but my training, knowledge and experience tell me it just potentially could be.

Read the comments where some guy demonstrates charging his cell phone with a little model Stirling engine. Nearly all the comments say it is fake, impossible.

Well, I wasn't so sure, so I did my own experiments. Turns out a little Stirling engine supplied with a little generator actually CAN charge a cell phone.

So many seem to have a knee jerk reaction calling anything they don't believe or understand "fake".

I don't assume I already know it all. I don't pass judgement calling innocent people fakes or deceitful liars who are just sharing some discovery they made that seems amazing.

On the other hand, I'm not gullible either.

In this case, I'm on the fence, so I will do the experiment out of my own curiosity.

I'm in the same boat.

I did a few experiments with Stirling engines and shared them to the Science forums.

Now I'm hounded by the likes of "fool" and others insisting I'm delusional, pulling some scam, faking the videos etc. etc

I don't like it being done to me, I'm not doing it to others.

You've already made a snap judgement. Good for you. I hope you're happy and self satisfied.

I'm not that into my own opinions and speculations, or yours, or anyone else's. I'd rather KNOW for sure, one way or the other, so I'm replicating the device.

Just for the record, In reality, I don't think you are qualified to voice an opinion on the subject of refrigeration like many of the commenters on YouTube. You obviously don't know squat.