Stirling Books

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
nate

Stirling Books

Post by nate »

I mentioned this in one of the threads, but I thought I post a topic for more to see and to share their favorite Stirling titles.

If one is interested in the math of Stirlings, the best book I've come across is "Principles and Applications of Stirling Engines" by C. D. West (ISBN: 0442292732). Its no longer in print, but I found one at my local library. This book goes through the math, but does it in a very practical way, where it makes sense of all of the terms. In fact, West emphasizes the definition of standard terms so that every one can understand what the other is saying. West is the inventor of the Fluidyne, (liquid piston stirling), by the way, which another of his books covers.

Here is a nice library search engine that found several library copies of this book near me: http://www.worldcat.org/
theropod2

Re: Stirling Books

Post by theropod2 »

nate wrote:I mentioned this in one of the threads, but I thought I post a topic for more to see and to share their favorite Stirling titles.

If one is interested in the math of Stirlings, the best book I've come across is "Principles and Applications of Stirling Engines" by C. D. West (ISBN: 0442292732). Its no longer in print, but I found one at my local library. This book goes through the math, but does it in a very practical way, where it makes sense of all of the terms. In fact, West emphasizes the definition of standard terms so that every one can understand what the other is saying. West is the inventor of the Fluidyne, (liquid piston stirling), by the way, which another of his books covers.

Here is a nice library search engine that found several library copies of this book near me: http://www.worldcat.org/
Rant Alert!

The library system, and book copyright holders, needs to join the 21st century and put these out as PDF's or eBooks for the cost of an iTunes download. Make a few bucks and keep the work out there for all to access. I'd have a hard drive full of stuff like that.

I'm going to see if I can't find an inter-library loan program to get my grubby little mitts on that, and a couple other, books. I might just take some notes, wink, nod, grin...

R
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

I have two books by James G. Rizzo, first a paper back "Modelling STIRLING and HOT AIR ENGINES", the second is"The Stirling Engine Manual". I also have the free down load of Andy Ross's book "Making Stirling Engines". I also collect articals, and keep them in folders. There is also a bit of a collection of articals in the "Model Engineer" magazine. Ian S C
kaltblutig

Post by kaltblutig »

Sent a request to get it from the Lawrence Tech University library and have it sent to the local university. How many pages is it? i can't seem to find the info online.
nate

Post by nate »

kaltblutig wrote:Sent a request to get it from the Lawrence Tech University library and have it sent to the local university. How many pages is it? i can't seem to find the info online.
If you mean "Principles and Applications of Stirling Engines", its 247 pages.
jimlarsen

Post by jimlarsen »

"The Stirling Engine Design Manual" by William Martini, and "Building Stirling Engines" by Andy Ross are both available for free download at http://StirlingBuilder.com.