Kick-Back Displacer Concept

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Jerry

Kick-Back Displacer Concept

Post by Jerry »

Has anyone tried something like this:

I threw this animation together rather quickly, so the conrod doesn't connect properly, but it shows the concept. The idea is to have the displacer bottom out about 15 degrees before BDC. The cold side of the displacer will have a diaphragm the con rod attaches to. As the displacer bottoms out, the air inside gets heated and compressed, once motion passes BDC, the diaphragm would give a bit of kick before the displacer leaves the bottom of the chamber. Sort of a hot air engine within the stirling.

This seems to approximate a "perfect stirling cycle" a bit better, though the power piston's movement is not affected. Could give an extra 5-10% efficiency, in my dreams. Could be the forces working against each other cancel out. Only way to know if it helps is to build one, but I would appreciate any comments.
If I seem argumentative, I apologize. I like to explore many sides of an issue.
I love to be shown I'm wrong, after all, Dad always said to learn from my mistakes!
fullofhotair

Re: Kick-Back Displacer Concept

Post by fullofhotair »

It certainly seems like it would take the shock out of the bottom and top of the diaphram cycle.Shock and vibration are engine killers over time.
Jerry

Re: Kick-Back Displacer Concept

Post by Jerry »

Thanks for the input. I'm hoping it could actually give a bit of a performance increase due to the diaphragm expansion, but if it helps in some other way, that will be a welcome bonus.

Too many projects to build it now, but it's on my list.
If I seem argumentative, I apologize. I like to explore many sides of an issue.
I love to be shown I'm wrong, after all, Dad always said to learn from my mistakes!