Power piston diameter

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
rustybarrel

Power piston diameter

Post by rustybarrel »

Force = pressure x area
So I was thinking if I increase area of power piston by increasing its diameter will I get more power out of my stirling engine? Swept volume can be kept constant by reducing the stroke? Any idea? I will probably require a bigger flywheel also. I am not interested in more rpm but in more power.
Please tell me if I am right.
thanks
rustybarrel
Jerry

Re: Power piston diameter

Post by Jerry »

Generally speaking, decreasing the stroke increases RPMs, while increasing the stroke increases available torque.

Rather than concentrate on force, think in terms of work, which takes into account time. The same amount of force applied for a shorter time (decreased stroke) equals less work. The same amount of force applied over a longer time equals more work. In this discussion, I'm pretty sure you can equate work to power.
If I seem argumentative, I apologize. I like to explore many sides of an issue.
I love to be shown I'm wrong, after all, Dad always said to learn from my mistakes!
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

You won't get any more power, high revs, low torque, or low revs high torque, sort of 2+1=3 or 1+2=3, just that it is possible to design a motor with the revs required for the aplication you want without needing much in the way of gearing, thereby increasing efficiency. Ian S C
vamoose

Post by vamoose »

Yes I think your right in saying that, Force = pressure x area (plus also, time and mass should be in there somewhere too)
But I liked this comment from Geoff V …............
Geoff V wrote:Pressurisation, the power output is proportional to the rate at which an engine processes the working gas, large turbo jets are probably processing around a ton every second!
i think i've interpereted it in the right context..

It helped me look at the processing of the working gas from a different angle.

vamoose