500w from NZ

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Geoff V

500w from NZ

Post by Geoff V »

Gentlemen

For those seeking ideas for a SE that does useful work, Peter Lynn's 2500cc beta in a very nice boat.

http://youtu.be/4lDMZ5SK-9A

GeoffV
Ian S C

Re: 500w from NZ

Post by Ian S C »

Thanks Geoff, good to see some familia faces, haven't actually seen Peter's boat. Lake Hood is a man made lake not far from Peters home, It was a gravel pit until it was transformed into a lake a few years ago.
Ian S C
zhivko

Post by zhivko »

I watched video but it seems to me, that original video has been modified (processed) with fast forward function.
Do others have same feeling about video also? If yes what could be the reason? :razz:
RonT

Post by RonT »

No, I am of the impression that the video speed was correct. Having lived on the east coast and seen a full size dory powered by an antique hit & miss engine the speed of this much smaller vessel was believable. Given the boats design, the calm water, and the relatively small bow wave, it seemed OK . The engine output, 500W or roughly 0.7 HP, may have been conservatively measured or calculated.
Geoff V

Post by Geoff V »

Gentlemen

Having been in regular contact with Peter over the last few weeks, I have no doubts in my mind that he is achieving nearly 500watts continious power from this engine, which would be sufficient to propel this beautiful boat at the claimed speeds.

If you wish to question anything, it should be 'how does he extract this amount of power from an unpressurised hot air engine', I don't know and I'm not sure Peter does either, low friction and a good, well insulated burner, are my best guesses to date.

GeoffV
zhivko

Post by zhivko »

Yes maybe I got this feeling because of camera that recorded video couldn't capture enough frames in time unit...
If I insulted somebody I deeply apologize.

Zhivko