power producing engine

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
culinadge

power producing engine

Post by culinadge »

I am attempting to come up with a design for a real power-producing engine (ultimately in the 1+ KW range) that can be assembled from parts purchased at local hardware stores, automotive suppliers, etc. In other words, ideally there would be no requirements for machining equipment.

I know this will be a challenging project for someone who is new to building engines. However, it seems like there is a lot knowledgeable people on this forum who may be able to give me some advice.

My initial plan is to make a beta type stirling. I would like to use planar springs instead of a fly-wheel (however I know this may be very difficult to "tune").

I have read some of the information here on cylinder ratios, etc, but I do have a number of initial questions. For example what type of bearing setup should I use for the displacer? Also, I welcome any ideas for a piston assembly?

I would like to assemble a smaller model before scaling up so ideas for smaller parts would be welcome.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I will share any plans that work with the group.
tmk

Post by tmk »

you mean like this general configuration:

Not sure what you would need a bearing for though if you are using this type of spring.

-tmk
culinadge

Post by culinadge »

Yes. That is exactly what I am attempting to do (albeit mine will be more crude in a number of ways).

As far as the bearing is concerned -- won't the displace function smoother (less friction loss) on some type of bearing even with this type of spring?
Franco

Re: power producing engine

Post by Franco »

I tried doing the same thing, basically building a high power engine using hardware store materials (a true DIY project). I never got it to work. The most I managed to do was run the engine in reverse to produce a refrigeration effect.

It would be extremely challenging. I concluded for myself that it can't be done just because you need specialized materials and fabrication tools. These are typically not available off the shelf at places like Canadian Tire, Home Depot, or wherever.

IMO you have to involve machining and that means getting equipment or contracting out to a machine shop. Both are pricey endeavors, especially if there's trial and error involved, which is almost always the case.

You can check out my attempt at a high-power Stirling engine. It's an alpha engine which was the easiest configuration I could work with. I wrote down everything I did, including pictures. It may give you some ideas: http://newenergydirection.com/blog/2008/10/stirling-engine-project
tibsim

Post by tibsim »

I like to charge my mobile phone with a new type hot air engine. Help me please! :
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/alte ... /x/9309691
Thanks!
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

You are basically Looking at building a free piston engine, my first one was a BETA motor, due to technical reasons that I discovered later it was not a success. I then built a GAMMA type, and this has been developed to be the one in my gallery. Instead of a spring under the power piston, I use two magnets, one on the piston that is part of the linear alternator, the other fixed below this, with the like poles facing each other so that they repel. The displacer has a thick rod, and works as in a Ringbom motor, and requires no springs, or magnets to operate it.
The power piston needs to be heavy.
Ian S C
breetlee6666

Post by breetlee6666 »

even when the power piston rod is not connected, the balloon does not expand when heated....is it not supposed to ?
So we guess the hot air is not reaching the elbow or not hot enough to expand the diaphragm ......possibility of leak ?
You can easily check out our best quality Testking nclex questions exam dumps prepare you well for the real ssat practice test You can also get success in real exam of sterling with the quality Rasmussen College
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

When you disconnect the power piston rod, and move the displacer, while the heat is applied, the diaphragm should move.
Ian S C
wbeetge

Post by wbeetge »

So @culinadge

Have you produced a working version ?
Would be interesting to hear.
WBeetge