Fire chamber vent tubes

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Hawke

Fire chamber vent tubes

Post by Hawke »

I see vent tubes from fire chamber on some engines. Im guessing to release buildup off heat. But why is this needed. Why not use less heat?
What we need is a More Heat or More cold, and Less Friction or Better Air Seals ...and an Aspirin!
Sripto Vu-Lighter Historian http://www.thehawkeco.com
Ian S C

Re: Fire chamber vent tubes

Post by Ian S C »

You need the vents, you have to draw in fresh air/oxygen to get the burner to burn, so a bit of air/heat out draws more in the bottom. Ian S C
Hawke

Post by Hawke »

Ahh, ok. Ive just used tea lamps so far really. The higher flame alcohol or propane would need the draft. Thx
What we need is a More Heat or More cold, and Less Friction or Better Air Seals ...and an Aspirin!
Sripto Vu-Lighter Historian http://www.thehawkeco.com
theropod2

Post by theropod2 »

Hawke wrote:Ahh, ok. Ive just used tea lamps so far really. The higher flame alcohol or propane would need the draft. Thx
If the engine has a hot "box" end the vent opening can be a little lower so the most intensely heated air stays in the upper part of the heat chamber/fire box. With this redirection of the excess heat up and away, via a chimney, the cool end isn't warmed by convection as this otherwise is the case as the heat just naturally pelts the cool end on a vertical engine. A damper can be installed to adjust the flow rate to match the heat input. I think these heat bleeders are a good idea.

Stirling fans would sure benefit, as the waste heat/fumes cold be directed away from the area to cool, and might get the rpm up a little.

One could drive a little LTD off the top of the waste heat tube. That would be cool.

R
fullofhotair

Post by fullofhotair »

theropod2,
I really like that idea of using the vent pipe tube to run a small fan. That could cool a thermosyphon radiator to the cool side.