Fully Described Engine specs

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Robert

Fully Described Engine specs

Post by Robert »

Hi i am new to this forum, and i have joined partly because of desperation.

I have developed some matlab code to simulate the isothermal model, ideal adiabatic model and the "simple" model (as described in the book "Stirling Cycle Analysis"

however i desperatly need some fully described engines along with their real performances. In order to validate my work. Alpha engines are preferable however beta engines can do.

The information i really need is the void volumes, wetted area, hydrolic diameter, any kinematic descriptions, and ofcourse running parameters like, rpm, hot and cold temperatures, mean pressure, working gas type,

I have been trying to get a hold of the book "Making Stirling Engines" by Andy Ross however so far i am unable to get a hold of it, i know that it describes his D-90 engine. (90cc) i actually have the engine parameters for that engine, however i dont know the actaul performance it was capable of.

Any help is appreciated and if anyone else wants advice in creating a matlab performance model for stirling engines i am willing to help.
motymen

Re: Fully Described Engine specs

Post by motymen »

Hello Robert

"Making Stirling Engines" was released openly by andy ross, you can find it here:

http://stirling.atw.hu/MSE.pdf

i am building a supercritical CO2 stirling engine based on one of ross designs and i am in need of a matlab model to calculate maximum pressure and other factors
any help or advice would be great! :)
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Robert, the best way is to find a design, good place to look is James G. Rizzo's books "The Stirling Engine Manual" vols., 1 and 2, then build two or three motors, and develop them. My second motor is in my gallery, it is a version of Rizzo's Dyna, it has a free running speed of just over 2000rpm, and has produced 5 Watts at the crankshaft. It took 2000hrs to wear out the crankshaft, and after over haul it has only done a few hundred hours, but I don't log the time any more. This is a BETA motor with a cast iron piston in a mild steel cylinder (bored out bit of galvanised water pipe). It started off only able to do about 200 rpm, I connected an electric motor as a generator, and slowly as the motor freed up it blew lamp after lamp, until it was running a 12v 3W bulb, at a bit under full power, the first one was 1.5v 200miliW. Ian S C
vamoose

Post by vamoose »

Hey Motymen,

Check out this pdf,

"Advanced Stirling Radioisotope Generator (ASRG), Thermal Power Model in MATLAB"
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi. ... 013822.pdf (less than 1MB)

or more from here.. http://ntrs.nasa.gov/?N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=m ... allpartial

hope it is of some help to you :question) ...

vamoose