Under the Hood, Stirling Engine Vehicles (Photo Catalogue)

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Triangle.Stirling

Re: Under the Hood, Stirling Engine Vehicles (Photo Catalogu

Post by Triangle.Stirling »

So, that is all the info i have so far.
I hope you like it, but i'm most sure you will.
Devided the various sorts of applications in separate messages to keep it clear.
I have a question also:

You have a very nice collection of photo's here on the forum, i really like it. Do you have all the original files on your computer or somewhere? I think it's important to save all the photo's in the best quality possible. All the info that is gathered here, is there somewhere a backup of this stuff? I'd just like to be sure that this info won't be lost. I like to keep everything on my harddrive, with a backup, so there's no chance i lose something

Regards,

Krijn
vamoose

Post by vamoose »

Hey Krijn
Thanks for all the information, really good stuff! I've put it into the first post.
I've also added some more pics and links. I think you will especially like the PDF at the top of the first post...

I have saved a copy of the images from the internet, in case the links were to disappear.
But feel free to do the same, the more the better.
Other types of links may disappear over time though, "Que Sera, Sera”

As far as backing up the forum thread and links, sometimes there have been a few hiccups,
http://www.stirlingengineforum.com/view ... f=1&t=1580
But our forum Host/Moderator Darryl (boydhouse) regularly backs up the forum and keeps on top of things... :geek:
Gildo-X wrote: was excited to see the Air Force 1987 D-150 fitted with a Stirling. My daily driver is a retired Air Force 1987 D-150 with a 225 ci slant six, (which took 10 min to get started and warmed up this morning in Michigan, where the temp was -12F). I smiled at the thought of what kind of power I would have had with that kind of temp/differential. Great post, thanks!
welcome to the forum Gildo-X, check out the video under the 'USPS Van' (Its a new addition). It should wet your whistle..

vamoose
vamoose

Post by vamoose »

Had to bump up this old chestnut again because of some GM stuff that I have been intending to include - (EV1 and hybrid drive prototypes, 1993-1999), also have added a few more random pics for existing cars.

Plus Ian.. am still hoping for that information on the Daf variomatic drive Stirling car …
am starting to think that this vehicle never existed..

ok, just goading ya!

do you think you can find the information that you referred to, or is it lost?

cheers..
vamoose
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Sorry Vamoose, can't seem to find it, must have another look. Ian S C
vamoose

Post by vamoose »

I'm wondering if anyone can shed a bit more light on these Stirling vehicles from Japanese company Aisin...
from this web page- http://www.katch.ne.jp/~momosemd/boss.htm

Toyota Corolla
ImageImageImage

A Van (not sure what model- guessing a toyota)

They've also made Stirling stationary generators, co-generation and also refrigerator units using swash plate and rotary crank configurations.. and claimed to have achieved up to 42% efficiency for their engines.
ImageImageImage

plus some solar space generator research stuff
ImageImage

has anyone come across information from this group or got any thoughts on the matter?? :question)

vamoose
Hopper

Post by Hopper »

I see the Australian gumment is committed to spending $20 billion on about a dozen Japanese Soryu submarines with Stirling engines that can run underwater to charge the batteries. They run on LOX and diesel fuel. Exhuast is mixed with seawater and pumped overboard.
http://www.news.com.au/national/new-jap ... 7050682205

It seems the Stirling engines are licensed from Kockums, who I believe got the design originally from Phillips? And built by Kawasaki. The boat itself will be build by Mitsubishi and Kawasaki heavy industry divisions. They have conventional diesel engines too, for surface, or near surface, use.
http://www.naval-technology.com/project ... ssubmarin/

Shame they are not going to utilize the Adelaide ASC boatyard again to build replacements for the Collins subs built there. But Kawasaki and Mitsubishi have a lot more experience and resources at their disposal. And are more customer-service oriented than Kockums and Saab who were not known as overly helpful at ASC.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Hopper, that sounds like a reasonably formidable little sub fleet, don't think our lot will be joining you in the fore-seeable future, the current minister of defence said today, no expenses on extra equipment in the current budget(elections coming up). How many Collins class subs did you have?
Ian S C
Triangle.Stirling

Post by Triangle.Stirling »

Hi Hopper,

That is nice, i like how they use the Stirling Engine in this application, when you read about it, it's a perfect solution.

Where the engine orignially was developed i don't know, however, Kockums developed it further.
What i know is that they first equipped a regular submarine with a stirling module in 1988. They just cut the submarine in half and placed a 8m long segment containing the stirling engines.
In 2009 they started a separate company focussed ( :wink: ) on the solar dish application of the stirling engine: Ripasso Energy. (http://www.ripassoenergy.com/index2.html)
As far as i know that company uses the same engine.
For my highschool assignment i contacted Kockums, however they couldn't give me more information because of the military application.
Kawasiki uses the same engines under license.

What i just wonder is: If this engine is used for military uses, and it works, why isn't it used in other applications? I think the engine proved it's worth.
As far as i know there are currently 9 submarines equipped with stirling engines. 6 from sweden, built by Kockums, 3 from Japan, built by Kawasaki.

Does anybody know more about these engines? Kawasaki calls them the "V4-275 R" Stirling engine. I assume then it's a 4 cylinder engine, i think alpha type?

Regards,

Krijn
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

Kockums developed the engine in conjunction with Philips. I believe that the US Navy may be using Stirling Engines in some subs, I think they borrowed one a few years back.
Ian S C
vamoose

Re: Under the Hood, Stirling Engine Vehicles (Photo Catalogue)

Post by vamoose »

Hey Hopper Ian & Triangle,

Not been on this thread for a bit but noticed that Kockums were meant to be doing an A26 sub with stirling auxiliary, but the new (german) owners may not proceed.

and Hopper,
It will be interesting to see if if our new subs from japan (if we do finally acquire them) come with the Kockums stirling engine.
Its a great silent AIP system option for us non nuclear countries, and is well overdue since the Collins class, and the missed opportunity to retrofit them with this engine...

vamoose
vamoose

Re: Under the Hood, Stirling Engine Vehicles (Photo Catalogue)

Post by vamoose »

I know its not directly related to 'stirling engine vehicles' but I feel these animated gifs are great for helping to figure out stirling engine functions in general, especially for those of us that are inclined to use visualisation to help assist our understanding of different mechanisms and also technical and scientific processes..

vamoose