Regenerator and cylinders in a beta stirling engine

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Ian S C

Re: Regenerator and cylinders in a beta stirling engine

Post by Ian S C »

Renewable Energy,Na K, go look it up on google. heres what I found in a few miniutes; Explosive in contact with water, acids,alcohols etc. Highly corrosive. Toxic- effecting eyes and skin and respiritory system. Things to be avoided, contact with carbon dioxide, hydrogen peroxide Teflon, and metal oxides.
Na K is intended forindustrial use, and as such there is no expectation of consumer exposure to Na K liquid. There is more, ie hints on handling etc.
Use air for pressurisation. I presume you want to transfer heat from a remote heat source using the Na K. Unless you are an expirenced engineer, with knowlage of the engineering requirements of this material, don't think of it, a nice thought, but the engineering must be right the first time, or you might not get a second chance. Ian S C
RenewableEnergy

Post by RenewableEnergy »

Hi Ian,
thank you for your suggestions. At the moment I'm only collecting information. I know that this alloy is dangerous but I read that in same project it was used.
When I'll start to build my SE I'll keep in consideration all infos coming from this forum.
Ian S C

Post by Ian S C »

The only place I'v had expirience of sodium being used to transfer heat is in the exhaust valves of a Pratt & Whitney R 1830 aircraft engine, it was proberbly during WW2 that these valves were first used as the engines were upgraded. I imagine thatmost of the larger aero engines where so fitted. The valves are normal looking poppet valves, but they are hollow, right from the head, and the stem, theres a small amount of sodium that sloshes back and forth as the valve opperates, conducting heat away from the head of the valve. Ian S C