Pizza oven Stirling Engine

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
qwerty

Pizza oven Stirling Engine

Post by qwerty »

Hi all.

I am making my next wood burning pizza oven and want to incorporate an engine of some sort. I was originally thinking steam, but was nervous about the danger of boilers etc. Then I thought of a Stirling engine! The temp difference between the inside and outide is between 200 and 400 degrees C, so I think a stirling engine is ideal. But the only designs I can find are for small toy engines. I would like this engine to do some useful work, like charging a bettery torun the computer I am installing. Can anyone recomend a design?

I'd rather make it myself, but can buy it if I have to. I don't currently own a metal lathe, or any other machine tools, so the simpler the design the better.

Thanks!
Ian S C

Re: Pizza oven Stirling Engine

Post by Ian S C »

querty,I doubt you could build one for your purpose with out a lathe, and suitable motors are not redily available to buy. the smaller motors can be scaled up. To run a generator, you need a motor to be well built so that there is built in reliability. Its proberbly best to build a hot air/Stirling Engine first to get expirience, if you have not done so in the past.
Computor made Piza! Ian S C
NerdyEE

Re: Pizza oven Stirling Engine

Post by NerdyEE »

Hi qwerty!
I'm new and still reading posts. One of my applications for these motors is similar to your application; functional art! So how much power are you looking for? Take a look at my Big Stirling Engine post and a company I found to see if this might be something of interest for your pizza oven...
-J
[hr] If crime doesn't pay, does that mean my job is a crime?