Vertical stirling engine.

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Jagang

Vertical stirling engine.

Post by Jagang »

For some time I tried to build a simple tin can type of stirling engine, to power a small and light model boat.

But it's not for me.
I always get stuck somewhere, while building, and I'm too stubborn to just copy someone else's design.
So I'm quitting on building an engine alltogether. It's not going to happen.

I just want to buy a ready-to-run Stirling model somewhere, and use that to power a small model-boat.

But most ready to run engines seem to be all about aesthetics.
Does someone here know about a small vertical stirling engine with the crankshaft and flywheel below the cylinder?

It doesn't matter wether the cylinder itself is inverted or not, as long as not the whole engine is inverted.
I need a low centre of gravity.
MikeB

Re: Vertical stirling engine.

Post by MikeB »

I'm not sure I understand what you are after - fundamentally all engines work in any orientation, its just details like gravity-fed systems that need to be adjusted, so with most simple stirlings, the only thing you need to do is arrange for heat to be applied appropriately.
Jagang

Post by Jagang »

MikeB wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:29 am I'm not sure I understand what you are after - fundamentally all engines work in any orientation, its just details like gravity-fed systems that need to be adjusted, so with most simple stirlings, the only thing you need to do is arrange for heat to be applied appropriately.
A stirling engine with a flywheel beneath the cylinders, for a low centre of gravity.
Fire might be placed between the crankshaft and the cylinder.

Somewhat similar to this:
img021.jpg
img021.jpg (48.97 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
fcheslop

Post by fcheslop »

I dont know of any commercial engines that may do what you need
There are a few boats knocking about Silver Stirling 1 comes to mind and the French gentleman in the video
A Japanese gentleman did have some drawing up on the net from the Marine research university of Japan for engines and hulls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XdgJqQ ... g&index=12
Jagang

Post by Jagang »

fcheslop wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:58 am I dont know of any commercial engines that may do what you need
There are a few boats knocking about Silver Stirling 1 comes to mind and the French gentleman in the video
A Japanese gentleman did have some drawing up on the net from the Marine research university of Japan for engines and hulls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XdgJqQ ... g&index=12
My problem with that one is that it takes up almost all of the boat.
skypupbob

Post by skypupbob »

Build a bigger boat!
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Jagang wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:04 am A stirling engine with a flywheel beneath the cylinders, for a low centre of gravity.
Fire might be placed between the crankshaft and the cylinder.
My gut feeling is that you want the cylinder to be horizontal, not vertical.
I don't think many engines have a flywheel that is heavy enough for it to be worthwhile placing it underneath - that would push the rest of the engine much higher, as well as adding to losses due to having to have/link two crank-shafts.