Alpha Configuration Advice

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
JohannesLeRoux

Alpha Configuration Advice

Post by JohannesLeRoux »

Hi there!

I am new to this forum and have been advised that this is the place to be for SE design help and advice.

I have to redesign an Alpha configuration SE and I am convinced that there might be some problem with the current design:

1. The pistons are sliding on the side of the cylinder walls. Way too much friction. I am getting around that by incorporating a maritime engine principle of moving the cylinders further apart and connecting the conrods to a shaft running on linear ball bushings to keep the shaft running true at each end.

2. It is lacking a heat regenerator.

3. I don't think the flywheel is big enough add significant value to the process.

My big questions are:

a. Is there any recommended reading to do on flywheel designs and how they are designed?

b. Has anyone made or tried to make a marine style SE?

Thanks in advance,

Johannes
Tom Booth

Re: Alpha Configuration Advice

Post by Tom Booth »

JohannesLeRoux wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:02 pm Hi there!

I am new to this forum and have been advised that this is the place to be for SE design help and advice.

I have to redesign an Alpha configuration SE and I am convinced that there might be some problem with the current design:

1. The pistons are sliding on the side of the cylinder walls. Way too much friction. I am getting around that by incorporating a maritime engine principle of moving the cylinders further apart and connecting the conrods to a shaft running on linear ball bushings to keep the shaft running true at each end.

2. It is lacking a heat regenerator.

3. I don't think the flywheel is big enough add significant value to the process.

My big questions are:

a. Is there any recommended reading to do on flywheel designs and how they are designed?

b. Has anyone made or tried to make a marine style SE?

Thanks in advance,

Johannes
If altering the typical V angle of an alpha engine to, something else, not sure what you mean exactly by "maritime", or "further apart". I assume you mean a greater angle? Opposed cylinders?

Anyway, if that is the case, the timing would present some problem in that the attachment point of the connecting rods to the crank would no longer overlap as is the case with a conventional Alpha, this would likewise perhaps result in some balancing issues.

If you mean something else, by "further apart", some drawing or diagram of what you have in mind might help.
airpower

Post by airpower »

In my opionon if you have to much friction you can try ball type pistons where only the seals touch and the (hollow) "balls" connect straight to .the flywheel.
Keep strokes short.
A alternative Alpha setup
staska

Post by staska »

I think that "maritime" is another name for an engine with a cross-head mechanism in place of trunk piston.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crosshead

Which is plus and minus for stirling engine. Where all goes to small details.

And you could fold you mechanism, and have a cross-head in the back of you power piston :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tep5dJNX6GM