Ted Warbrooke's Stirling 1: Question

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Alphax

Re: Ted Warbrooke's Stirling 1: Question

Post by Alphax »

Tom,

You say:-

I've provided "testable proof" or evidence in abundance. It is simply ignored, not only ignored but banned, no discussion allowed.

I'm relatively new to this site and have not seen your testable proof or evidence (assuming it is on this site). I'm not new to thermodynamics, however.

I'm willing to read what you have said, so can you tell me where to find it?

One other thing. You also say:-
"the onus is on you... blah blah blah" "This discussion is closed" (discussion locked).

That's all I ever get, after putting my own time and money into buying a bunch of engines and carrying out a bunch of experiments on my own time at my own expense.

The onus really is on you! You have to present your evidence and your reasoning to others. If you persist in ranting and raving that everyone is to blame but yourself, then the outcome is inevitable. No-one will take you seriously.

So, my advice would be - stop blaming everyone else and start by explaining your ideas, and start by being polite and by being serious. If you want to be taken seriously. Strange as it may seem, the discussion isn't about you. It is about your ideas. Those are two separate things. No-one else understands your idea better than you - thats why the onus is on you to explain them!
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

Alphax wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:48 am Tom,

You say:-

I've provided "testable proof" or evidence in abundance. It is simply ignored, not only ignored but banned, no discussion allowed.

I'm relatively new to this site and have not seen your testable proof or evidence (assuming it is on this site). I'm not new to thermodynamics, however.

I'm willing to read what you have said, so can you tell me where to find it?

One other thing. You also say:-
"the onus is on you... blah blah blah" "This discussion is closed" (discussion locked).

That's all I ever get, after putting my own time and money into buying a bunch of engines and carrying out a bunch of experiments on my own time at my own expense.

The onus really is on you! You have to present your evidence and your reasoning to others. If you persist in ranting and raving that everyone is to blame but yourself, then the outcome is inevitable. No-one will take you seriously.

So, my advice would be - stop blaming everyone else and start by explaining your ideas, and start by being polite and by being serious. If you want to be taken seriously. Strange as it may seem, the discussion isn't about you. It is about your ideas. Those are two separate things. No-one else understands your idea better than you - thats why the onus is on you to explain them!
I'm not talking about this forum, though the forum owner here does not appreciate these kind of pointless debates. This is primarily a forum for model engine builders.

If you like we could continue the discussion here;

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/s ... ne.991714/

If you can persuade the moderator to unban me and reopen the thread.

Good luck
Alphax

Post by Alphax »

Tom,

I will read through the physicsforum thread and report back.
Alphax

Post by Alphax »

Tom,

I have read through the PhysicsForum thread that you referred to.

I can see why you are disappointed and frustrated with the outcome. I can also understand why the moderator stopped it.

I don't understand why you are banned - was it a ban following that particular thread, or a another (different) thread? It would be helpful to know.

There is a potential solution to your unresolved question and your experiment. And that solution is for someone else to repeat your experiment. This is no more than a standard procedure in experimental science where rather unusual results are reported. In other words, is the experiment repeatable or was it just a one-off, one-time-only outlier.

You can not rely on your own findings (as reported in the PhysicsForum thread) because you only ran the experiment once and have a very badly constrained experimental set up with too many uncontrolled variables. But those results are genuinely interesting, none the less.

There is something useful you can do now, though, and that is to write two brief summaries: the first describing the experimental set up that you used, and the second describing the results that you think you obtained. Do NOT attempt to give any interpretation of the results, just stick to what data you got from the experiment.

Then - and only then - you should consider the possibility of someone else repeating the same experiment to see if they can get similar results to those that you obtained.

I am sufficiently intrigued by your work to consider running the same experiment myself under better controlled conditions. But first I need you to DESCRIBE the experiment (in no more than a couple of paragraphs) and to DESCRIBE what results you got (but not what you think they mean).

Can you do that?

Assuming you do, then we would need to start a new thread at some point as the work does not belong in this one! But a couple of paragraphs for you to describe the experiment and what results you got would be OK in this thread.
Alphax

Post by Alphax »

Tom,

I am aware of this thread of yours:-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1029

Are you satisfied that your first post in that thread properly summarises the same experiment that you describe in the PhysicsForum experiment?

If so, then just give me a summary of what you consider to be the findings of the experiment.

If not, then give me a corrected summary of the experimental set up together with a summary of what you consider to be the findings of the experiment.

Thank you.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

I don't understand why you are banned - was it a ban following that particular thread, or a another (different) thread? It would be helpful to know.
I only mentioned what I think is the generally inhibitive effect of the "Carnot Efficiency" doctrine on innovation, development and research in relation to your topic of scaling up model Stirling engines - in passing. If it is true that heat engine inefficiency is unavoidable because it is a "LAW" Why bother? I think this is true regardless if Carnot Efficiency were true or not.

I was banned soon after the tread was locked and I raised an objection in the feedback section.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/d ... se.991853/

They went as far as investigating my activities off-site and denigrating my character unfairly, making me out to have misrepresented myself because they found a video someone posted taken from a crowdfunder I started.

They did not give me any opportunity to explain that the title of that video was chosen by whoever copied the video to Vimeo. I did not choose the title "Free energy machine" I did not even know that video was posted to Vimeo. The original fundraiser is on gofundme and does not have any such title.

But why is that relevant?

At any rate, I certainly do not have any desire to rehash all that again here.
There is a potential solution to your unresolved question and your experiment. And that solution is for someone else to repeat your experiment. This is no more than a standard procedure in experimental science where rather unusual results are reported.
Of course, exactly, thank you! that request was in the first paragraph of my first post on that forum:
Is this result what should be expected?

If possible I would like to see others perform the experiment to see if they get similar results.
For all I knew it was a well known thermo experiment. At least I would expect it SHOULD BE. How could it be that such a simple, obvious experiment was never performed before?
Alphax

Post by Alphax »

Tom,

The experiment is interesting in its own right because the results you got are unexpected. So the first question is this - is it repeatable?

If no one else can obtain similar results to you when they try to repeat your experiment, then that is the end of the matter.

However, if someone else (preferably several people all working independently of each other and independently of you ) can reproduce similar results to those you obtained, then - and only then - the second question would arise.

The second question is simple to ask, very difficult to answer: what do the results mean? This is the area you got into trouble with because you invoked explanations that the experimental results simply do not support. But that is besides the point - the results look interesting because there will be a solid explanation and it is difficult at the moment to see exactly what that might be.

Please briefly summarise (on this thread) what you think the results of your experiment are (not what they mean - confine yourself to observational data only). That way anyone wanting to repeat your experiment will have a record of what results you obtained to compare with they results that they (and me) obtain.

Then I'll get to work. As may others who find this interesting.....
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Alphax you may enjoy the following book. See if you can find it in a library first. It has a plethora of theory, history, drawings, calculations, and data from real engines.

Ivo Kolin
The Evolution of the Heat Engine
ISBN-13: 978-0965245524, ISBN-10: 0965245527

Amazon has it for sale at, unfortunately, a very high price.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Two other engines related to Thermal Pulse Stirling's:

The Pulse Jet engine and the putt-putt boat.

Pulse jet engines are very similar to a jam jar engine except they have two tubes entering the combustion chamber.

I'm wondering what would happen if a jam jar engine were emptied of fuel and put on a burner. Maybe put steel wool in the bottom.

Also a tube could be inserted and sealed through the orifice to produce laminar flow. It may change the rep-rate.
Alphax

Post by Alphax »

Nobody

Thanks - the book looks very interesting, but a bit pricey. Having now looked up Ivo Kolin's previous work on Stirling engines he has over 100 academic publications on the Stirling engine (mostly not in english - he was Croatioan).

Interesting idea on the jam jar engine too! I was vaguely aware of the pulse jet engine having flown model aircraft in the distant past. But I never got to try one - they look pretty fearsome!
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

Alphax wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:30 am Tom,

The second question is simple to ask, very difficult to answer: what do the results mean? This is the area you got into trouble with because you invoked explanations that the experimental results simply do not support.
The intent of an experiment, based on standard "scientific methodology", is to observe the outcome predicted by some theory or other.

If X is the cause, then A will be the result.
If Y is the cause, then B will be the result.

I think the question, the tentative theoretical explaination, and the predicted outcome are certainly all significant. Not that there couldn't be unexpected results, or other causes not previously considered.

In trying to figure out how heat engines actually work, I encountered conflicting explanations.

The experiment was devised to sort out which of the causative principles historically postulated were at work.

The conflicting views go all the way back to the 1800's I was just looking at the situation objectively, as someone just wanting to get at the actual truth, so I might build my own heat engine, not caring one way or the other about the outcome,

The conflicting explanations go back more than 100 years, and were a part of the formative development of heat engine theory and thermodynamics and emerged from the various theories about the very nature of heat itself.

Now, as I saw it, there were two options. The Caloric theory or the Kinetic theory. (Are there more?)

The Caloric theory dominated the formative years in the development of the science of Thermodynamics. It had a tremendous, overreaching influence, and, as stated in the Wikipedia article on Caloric theory:
Sadi Carnot developed his principle of the Carnot cycle, which still forms the basis of heat engine theory, solely from the caloric viewpoint.
In contrast, in the late 1800's Tesla had already relegated Caloric theory to the dustbin, and realized that heat,.being simply another form of energy and not a fluid, had no "directionality", as you put it earlier. No necessity to "flow" like water, from a heat source to sink, or hot "reservoir" to a cold "reservoir". He postulated that in fact heat, in effect, or in a sense, evaporated or disappeared after passing into a heat engine, and so, was not "rejected" into the sink, once converted to mechanical work output.

Now I've been told repeatedly to discount Nicola Tesla, as he was crazy. He was in love with a pigeon, he didn't understand thermodynamics etc. etc.

Me, not having any previous knowledge or indoctrination into either viewpoint decided to settle the matter by experiment.

Logically, if a heat engine were running on ice, which means, of course, the energy is actually being supplied by ambient heat, then.

1. If heat is a fluid or Caloric, or acts as such, then after entering a heat engine it will have to ALL be let out or "rejected" to the sink.

2. If heat is simply kinetic energy, then as it is converted to mechanical work, at least some of the heat will be used up; converted to work, so will not reach the sink.

An inoperative engine will not convert any of the heat entering the engine, regardless of the actual nature of heat. But if heat is kinetic energy, then a running heat engine is actively converting the heat into a different form of energy, so less of it should pass through to the sink.

Ergo, if heat is kinetic energy, the ice used to power a Stirling engine should melt measurably slower than ice just sitting there, if all other conditions are held the same.

I think such an experiment should be repeated various ways, like with the idle machine with the displacer up, another with displacer down, in the center etc Maybe remove the displacer and replace it with something to mechanically agitate the air but without actually CONVERTING any heat, eliminate as many variables as possible.

Personally, I simply don't have time for all that.

I am a long long way from "invoking" any explanations or drawing any hard conclusions, just based on a few amateur kitchen table top experiments.

The results, that the ice took longer to melt under the running engine, are really quite unremarkable IMO. So, big deal, maybe it helps confirm what everybody already knows. Heat is kinetic energy. probably.

And maybe some kudos to Tesla for early recognition of the fact, relatively speaking.

For me, it puts just a tiny bit of weight on the scale that Tesla's additional views regarding heat and heat engines may warrant more consideration than they have heretofore been given, but I'm not a follower or "true believer" in all things Tesla. I'm highly skeptical of his "Self Acting" heat engine proposal, but, thus far, my various experiments have failed to prove Tesla flat out wrong. He seems to have been MORE right that the rest of the world at the time, regarding the fundamental nature of heat and the theory of heat engine operation.

Who deserves greater consideration? Carnot, who was flat out wrong about nearly everything, or Tesla who gave us the modern world, and without who's inventions, we would likely not have the means to be having this conversation through this largely ac powered medium of communication?
But that is besides the point - the results look interesting because there will be a solid explanation and it is difficult at the moment to see exactly what that might be.

Please briefly summarise (on this thread) what you think the results of your experiment are (not what they mean - confine yourself to observational data only). That way anyone wanting to repeat your experiment will have a record of what results you obtained to compare with they results that they (and me) obtain.

Then I'll get to work. As may others who find this interesting.....

The ice under a running engine remained in a solid condition for a greater length of time. The ice under the idle engine melted sooner.

Those were the objective measurable results.

If you want exact numbers, it's all in the thread and/or in the video descriptions on YouTube, as well as, I think, on this forum.

Personally, I'm not as interested in my outcomes as I am in seeing what results others get.

I've been begging for anyone willing to do so to repeat the experiments, even offering to supply the engines, but no takers. Instead I get banned from the forums (various other Science and Physics forums, not this one).

My crime or violation seems to be that I take an objective scientific approach rather than just adhering to the standard curriculum. I don't rule out the possibility that I might not already know everything, or that everything that can be known, might not already be known. There might actually be something new, or something old and rejected to discover or rediscover.

Sorry for the long diatribe, the opposite of what you wanted, but I reject that the theory, intent, and expected outcomes of an experiment are insignificant

Why do an experiment in the first place other than to satisfy a curiosity or to answer a question or resolve an issue?

What other "solid explaination" might there be, over and beyond the conflicting views that lead up to the experiment in the first place?

That is a rhetorical question.

Perhaps heat has a quantum mechanical "particle wave" type duel nature?

Well, I guess that is true. Heat as infrared light at least, as part of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Instantaneous quantum heat transfer at a distance through phonon coupling, maybe?
Alphax

Post by Alphax »

Tom,

Thank you for this:-
The ice under a running engine remained in a solid condition for a greater length of time. The ice under the idle engine melted sooner.

Those were the objective measurable results.

That is all I wanted to see.

I will see if I obtain similar results, and will report them on this Forum in due course (weeks rather than days).
Alphax

Post by Alphax »

Tom,
Sorry for the long diatribe,

That is OK.

I can tell that you have a "bee in your bonnet" about certain things to do with heat engines. I'm ignoring all of that. I am only interested in your experiment and the results that you obtained from it.

Can I just say this one thing for the record...... your experiment is very elegant. It is also beautifully simple. I am impressed.

The results of your experiment are surprising (to me, at this time). Therefore I want to repeat your experiment to find out if the results that you obtained are repeatable by other people. And I would urge anyone else reading this who may be curious to do the same.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

Alphax wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:42 pm ...
The results of your experiment are surprising (to me, at this time). Therefore I want to repeat your experiment to find out if the results that you obtained are repeatable by other people. And I would urge anyone else reading this who may be curious to do the same.
That is what I was hoping for back in 2012 when I first came up with the idea, but didn't have any engines, or the means to purchase any. Dirt poor, living in camper at the time.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1029&p=3956&hilit=Ice#p3956

I think the general consensus at the time leaned towards the assumption that the action of the displacer pumping hot, or warm air around in the engine would cause the ice to melt faster.

I thought that was probably right, but according to thermodynamic theory generally, the engine is converting, or in a sense "consuming" heat as fuel, so there would be less heat out than in.

Which is, I thought, the basic idea illustrated by these heat flow type diagrams.

Figure_16_03_03.jpg
Figure_16_03_03.jpg (36.77 KiB) Viewed 2914 times

Clearly, according to that depiction, the heat engine is diverting some of the heat to work output so less heat reaches the sink. Less heat is flowing to Tc on the right with the engine than on the left without.

So I'm curious why you would find the results of the experiment surprising?
Alphax

Post by Alphax »

Tom,
So I'm curious why you would find the results of the experiment surprising?
I''m simply giving you my honest first reaction to the question "what will happen" without thinking. My intuition was that the ice under the running engine would melt first (probably because the running engine is "doing something"), and the ice under the static engine would take longer to melt.

But that is intuition, and mine was wrong. I was surprised that I got it wrong, I assumed I would be able to guess correctly. That is what I like about the experiment - it is very instructive and not immediately intuitive. You have to think it through more carefully than simply relying on an intuitive guess if you want to predict the outcome correctly. I rather like that. It is a good demonstration.

These little LTD engines have very small power output levels (a lot less than 1 Watt). This implies that the quantity of heat converted to work is small. So I am somewhat surprised that the quantity (of heat) converted is apparently enough to make an easily detectable difference in the times taken to melt the same quantity of ice under running conditions and static conditions. Ordinarily, measurements of even the simplest of thermodynamic processes require quite a lot of specialised equipment to make meaningful measurements. Yours appears not to, and I especially like that.

I have seen one or two other extremely simple demonstrations of basic heat flow, given at Oxford (as a Christmas treat for students). The students are invited to guess what the outcome will be, and, in the best demonstrations they fail to guess correctly and then get to see the answer a few moments later as the experiment is run before their very eyes. Your experiment reminded me of that.