3KW Stirling Engine - Pics provided

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
yellow88fiero

3KW Stirling Engine - Pics provided

Post by yellow88fiero »

Here are some pictures of a stirling engine I was able to pickup locally about two years ago. I am pretty sure it was an university/test sample. It has about 20 temperature sensors built in it.

One odd thing for me is the back part, seems like some type of harmonic balancer but seems out of place for this engine. I actually thought it was some type of flywheel at first, but it doesn't move, it is just attached with a screw type assembly.
main1.JPG
main1.JPG (89.6 KiB) Viewed 20773 times
It has an interesting Wheel (Harmonic balancer?? I don't really know) - It comes off.
flywheel-side1.JPG
flywheel-side1.JPG (103.78 KiB) Viewed 20773 times
wheel.JPG
wheel.JPG (115.38 KiB) Viewed 20773 times
wheel2.JPG
wheel2.JPG (45.44 KiB) Viewed 20773 times
wheel3.JPG
wheel3.JPG (126.18 KiB) Viewed 20773 times
yellow88fiero

Re: 3KW Stirling Engine - Pics provided

Post by yellow88fiero »

The solar concentrator is around 10 1/4", the tabs you see actually add 1" or each tab is 1/2" and there are two of them.
solar-side1.JPG
solar-side1.JPG (76.61 KiB) Viewed 20771 times
solar-side2.JPG
solar-side2.JPG (87 KiB) Viewed 20771 times
solar-measure.JPG
solar-measure.JPG (73.6 KiB) Viewed 20771 times
yellow88fiero

Post by yellow88fiero »

Underneath the solar concentrator is a hose.
under-solar.JPG
under-solar.JPG (48.73 KiB) Viewed 20770 times

And on the other side of the engine is what looks like a air port, but with something in the middle of the port.
coupler1.JPG
coupler1.JPG (73.87 KiB) Viewed 20770 times
coupler1a.JPG
coupler1a.JPG (158.85 KiB) Viewed 20770 times
yellow88fiero

Post by yellow88fiero »

It has a lot of thermocouplers for measuring temperature.
thermo1.JPG
thermo1.JPG (124.1 KiB) Viewed 20769 times
coupler2.JPG
coupler2.JPG (131.41 KiB) Viewed 20769 times
coupler3.JPG
coupler3.JPG (71.61 KiB) Viewed 20769 times
coupler4.JPG
coupler4.JPG (233.63 KiB) Viewed 20769 times

And what I think is the generator cable for power.
power-plug.JPG
power-plug.JPG (159.45 KiB) Viewed 20769 times
yellow88fiero

Post by yellow88fiero »

Finally, some actual Covers for I think the Solar mirrors.
covermount.JPG
covermount.JPG (148.68 KiB) Viewed 20768 times
cover2.JPG
cover2.JPG (51.84 KiB) Viewed 20768 times
yellow88fiero

Post by yellow88fiero »

Let me know if you have any questions about this. I do have a few additional pictures I can share, but this is most of it.

The label does say 3KW engine. and Engine ID Y44.

If someone is interested in it, please direct message me. I haven't done anything with it in the past 2+ years and know the people on this board would likely be better then just putting it on Ebay.

Thanks.
yellow88fiero

Post by yellow88fiero »

Interesting PDF's from Internet Archive showing DOD Report on the Infinia CHP (Combined Heat and Power).

The picture on page 19 (document page 6) shows the details which looks a lot like the engine I have. I don't know if I have all the extra components for additional combined heat, but looking through the report a lot of this is just taking the excess heat from the Stirling engine/cooling cycle and driving a heat exchanger (radiator). So I imagine that could be done.

Here is a quick diagram of page 6. Look at the details of the whole link if you want more. There are two reports, one the
dod-stirling-gen.JPG
dod-stirling-gen.JPG (69.33 KiB) Viewed 20759 times
Cost and Performance Report: https://archive.org/details/DTIC_ADA602231

Final Report - Infinia CHP: https://archive.org/details/DTIC_ADA607481
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

It certainly appears to be an Infinia.

https://youtu.be/EBidoWN-9Us
yellow88fiero

Post by yellow88fiero »

Tom, Thanks for the video, I haven't seen this one before.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

Your "cover" in the picture above, looks nearly identical to the side cover of this Infinia from the vidio:
Resize_20220712_102930_0350.jpg
Resize_20220712_102930_0350.jpg (52.36 KiB) Viewed 20698 times
And the engine itself as well.
yellow88fiero

Post by yellow88fiero »

On the cover, I only have one side of it unfortunately, so I don't think I have the whole thing, but it definitely allows with this type of picture or the half available to be able to figure out how to cover as needed. It is all fiber/plastic anyway so not really doing much except protecting the engine from the elements.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

yellow88fiero wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:19 am On the cover, I only have one side of it unfortunately, so I don't think I have the whole thing, but it definitely allows with this type of picture or the half available to be able to figure out how to cover as needed. It is all fiber/plastic anyway so not really doing much except protecting the engine from the elements.
Yes, the cover is unimportant other than for identification. Unlikely some other manufacturer would have the same basic engine and cover design.

Qnergy acquired Infinia apparently, but they don't seem to be producing any 3kw solar dish type engine.

I'm guessing what you have is an early "prototype" sent out for evaluation and testing to universities before going into production, a production which for the most part never happened.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

I think you are correct regarding the wheel like thing attached to the engine being a kind of harmonic balancer, but linear rather than rotary.

A type of "Tuned Mass Damper" or TMD to reduce vibration.

It can go by various other similar names. It, or some similar vibration absorber is pretty common on linear free piston Stirling engines and coolers and used in engineering generally, for pipes, machinery, bridges, buildings, wind generators and NASA puts them on rockets etc. etc.

I did not know all this, but I've been researching what that thing might be for the past few hours, just out of curiosity. Quite fascinating actually.

There are quite a number of YouTube videos and such on the principle involved. Not much specific to Stirling engines in particular though.

https://youtu.be/HDa1VO1VDpc

https://youtu.be/VCxm3vTWgvU
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

It seems the vibration damping system as well as the basic Stirling solar dish design were inherited from Stirling Engine Systems.

This design from a Stirling Energy Systems patent drawing looks quite similar to Infinia's unit (Including the shroud or cover).
Resize_20220712_231658_8978.jpg
Resize_20220712_231658_8978.jpg (55.91 KiB) Viewed 20676 times
Perhaps the engine you have could be a Stirling Engine Systems engine?

I think they may have been kind of working together on the same thing at about the same time, SES I think was a little earlier, but Infinia was assigned at least some of their patents.

Edit: I think I may be confusing Stirling Energy Systems, the company and Stirling engine Systems generally.

The above image may actually be from an Infinia patent?

I need to double check that.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

No, Stirling Energy Systems and Infinia are actually quite different.

BTW I think maybe your PM is full or something. Messages seem stuck in my outbox.

It looks like, probably, your engine may, infact use a permanent magnet linear alternator, which would mean there would likely be no need to apply any current to any field windings.

If you want to test it, I would start by just putting some heat to the thing and test whatever wires are sticking out for voltage.

This is the same type of engine, using planar spring bearings and linear generator, to give you an idea what to expect, just a low hum like the sound of an electrical transformer probably.

https://youtu.be/QcppEhp2RfA

Your engine also has hoses for cooling that could be used, but probably not necessary for a brief test at relatively low temperature.

Take whatever I say with a grain of salt though.

https://youtu.be/0m0jGLRkXnM

I believe the humming sound in the background is the sound of the engines at this test facility.