A New Type of Hot Air Engine

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Tom Booth

Re: A New Type of Hot Air Engine

Post by Tom Booth »

VincentG wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:02 am ...The compressed air expanding is the same as the expansion cycle towards BDC I'd say. ...
True, but not entirely.

An engine compression/expansion cycle takes place in a fraction of a second. A refrigeration system allows much more time and opportunity for, on the one hand, storing the heat generated in something like a sand battery and on the other, cooling down the compressed air while still under pressure so that when expanded, the cold generated can be much much colder, making more of the ambient heat available.

Of course, after centuries one would think this sort of thing would be commonplace. As I see it there are two possibilities, or maybe three. 1) the technology is being suppressed/hidden 2) It really is "impossible" Carnot and the 2nd Law 3) It can work but is so counterintuitive and difficult to implement it's not widely adopted, something like using a siphon. It's possible under the right circumstances but so difficult to get started most people would just rather use a pump.

The more experimenting I do, the more I lean towards a combination of #1 greatly facilitated by #3. But maybe #2 is still hanging on by a thread, at least until I see an actual working model of some such thing.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Tom, don't forget that cryogenic Stirling cycle heat pumps are already a proven science. While they may not be a constant flow like letting out compressed air, at higher rpm it's more of a 50-75% duty cycle, with the majority of the cycle being "on" time anyway, and effectively the same thing.

Modern vehicles use pulse width modulation to run the headlights (why, I don't know) and technically spend a certain time with no voltage going to the halogen bulb. But they are still bright.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

I just wanted to add that for anyone reading this(not you Tom) thinking I am pushing pseudoscience, consider the well accepted fact, that the common ground or even air source household heat pump is over 400% efficient in converting electricity to heat output(given the right conditions). All while using the natural energy of the earth to do so.

So in no way is this perpetual motion or overunity or "creating" energy.

Rant over. Carry on.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

VincentG wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:30 am I like the second illustration a whole lot. Once you get past 3 or so moving parts I think its time to step back and redesign. The right solutions are always the simple ones.
Part of the apparent complexity is just due to retrofitting an as-is LTD model.

If the concept could be proven to work, the design could be simplified and the number of moving parts reduced.

The compressor and expansion turbine for example could be a bootstrapped unit, like an automotive turbocharger. Or industrial turboexpander.

I do also wonder just how much heat might be generated with only a small air compressor. Something along the lines of a very small fire piston.

I drew up some such fire piston heat driven engine design and posted it somewhere. Not sure if I could find it now, or if it still exists.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

Miracle, I found it.

Had to use duckduckgo, for some reason Google is becoming less useful lately. A couple years and no replies.

https://www.eng-tips.com/userthreads.cfm
fire_piston_engine_fol9db.jpg
fire_piston_engine_fol9db.jpg (12.78 KiB) Viewed 3494 times
The fire-piston, compressor on left was designed on the two stroke engine port system for scavenging out the old spent exhaust and replacing it with fresh air each cycle. Similar to the opening drilled in your LTD but with TWO ports and a scoop top piston to help direct air flow. The exhaust port slightly lower than the intake. (Or is it the other way around?)

The idea being that more heat is supplied by each additional draught of fresh air.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Thats an interesting concept. What's going on with the displacer and mixing chamber?
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

VincentG wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:09 pm Thats an interesting concept. What's going on with the displacer and mixing chamber?
It's just your basic gamma Stirling with external regenerator. Other than having the fire piston thing tacked on the hot end
Resize_20230320_204223_3110.jpg
Resize_20230320_204223_3110.jpg (45.06 KiB) Viewed 3487 times
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Understood. I was reading too much into where the hot and cold gas met in the regenerator.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

Someone else actually started that earlier thread, and of course got the usual impossible/2nd law/perpetual motion responses.

However, my reasoning is; if the Stirling engine is essentially a nearly self sustaining oscillator to begin with, then mostly all that is needed from the fire piston is make up heat/energy to compensate for frictional loses.

The compressor, after delivering some heat, acts, at least in part, like an air spring. That is, the compressed air retains pressure and pushes back, driving the crankshaft, as it does so it also expands and absorbs heat from the cylinder which assists that expansion to some degree as the cylinder is heated by the surrounding ambient heat.

At any rate, a Stirling engine after being removed from the heat source will "flywheel" for a while and keep running on the residual heat. Maybe the "fire piston" would allow it to flywheel a bit longer, or maybe it would bring it to a stop more quickly due to the added load.

Anyway, I'd be curious to see the results.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

Tom Booth wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:34 pm ...As I see it there are two possibilities, or maybe three. 1) the technology is being suppressed/hidden 2) It really is "impossible" Carnot and the 2nd Law 3) It can work but is so counterintuitive and difficult to implement it's not widely adopted, ...
Another possibility I see as very likely is just human laziness and the tendency to latch onto an easy solution.

If the efficiency of something as complicated and difficult to understand as the workings of an engine can be reduced to a very simple and easy to understand formula, why then anyone can be an engineer, they don't need to know anything about physics, material science, mechanics, compression ratios, timing, ignition heat transfer etc. etc. etc.

If engine efficiency depends "only" on the temperature difference, why, that's something that nearly any fool can understand. A problem that can be easily solved, in fact, no engine needs to be available for examination at all, which was actually the case with Carnot. The steam engine had not reached France at the time he wrote his first published work on the subject.

Nobody wants to give up this simple solution, even if it makes no sense, is based on a fallacy regarding the nature of heat itself, and cannot be verified experimentally because it is completely unfounded.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

I have been guilty of oversimplifying in the past.

Though, in favor of simplicity, I would like to offer the flame licker engine as an example.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

VincentG wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:48 pm I have been guilty of oversimplifying in the past.

Though, in favor of simplicity, I would like to offer the flame licker engine as an example.
Just since you mention it, I have an unconventional theory about these engines, aside from not really agreeing they are really an example of simplicity, particularly in comparison with other types of heat engines, nearly all of which are simpler.

Anyway, simplicity is very good, if it is true. A simple explanation of how something works that is, if true.

My issue with the Carnot theory generally is not it's simplicity so much as it's apparent falsehood.

It was a bit difficult to find, but I finally located a pretty good slow motion video of a flame eater engine. It helps to reduce the playback speed even more to 25%

https://youtu.be/oxxmzfQEC5M

Typically it is said that these engines work by cooling and vacuum. In this slow motion video though, it is apparent that the "free" pressure relief valve is open for nearly the entire return stroke.

If the engine operates in the manner supposed, how is it possible to have a vacuum with the pressure above atmosphere?

Well, the efficiency of these engines is considered very very small. Almost non-existent, but probably more than other Stirling type engines, timing is hyper-critical. There are valves, cams, etc.other Stirling type engines don't require.

Anyway, back to my heretical theory.

It appears, though a bit difficult to judge, I suspect, the intake valve begins to close well before the gas is fully expanded and is probably closed completely by BDC if not before. With "contraction" the pressure relief valve opens a long long way before TDC.

Considering molecular theory, it is the actual local impact of hot, high velocity air molecules impacting the piston head that actually drive the piston, so does it actually even matter that the valve is open while the flame is being "eaten". There are still hot high velocity air molecules being generated as they are drawn in past the flame.

Another anomaly is that some YouTubers mention that the engine cannot operate until the cylinder warms up.

What? Really?

https://youtu.be/Zh1JZ16HBaI

If the mode of operation is actually cooling and contraction of the hot gas, common sense would seem to suggest that the colder the cylinder the better, right?

So how does a hot cylinder cool the gas? The conventional explanation makes no sense in many ways.

I'm guessing the efficiency and performance of these flame lickers could be greatly improved by recognizing how they actually operate. Basically the same as other heat engines.

The expanding hot gas drives the piston, at least those hottest of the gas molecules impacting the piston head and "hitting a moving target". If you've seen this explanation:

https://youtu.be/PMKPZuCj9a0

Is that possible with the valve open and drawing a vacuum? If the kinetic theory is accepted, I would say yes. Any gas consists of a mixture of high speed ("hot") and low speed ("cold") molecules. It is only the very hottest high speed molecules that ever do any work in any engine.

The engine will have a hard time running while the cylinder is cold because the energy of the high speed air molecules is absorbed by the cold cylinder walls before they can pact the piston.

Because of the wrong theory of operation, the potential hat air expansion of these engines is not realized, the gas has little opportunity to do work and cool, so the pressure relief valve has to stay open during the supposed "contraction" of the gas that is allegedly driving these engines.

If the cylinder is hot, the hot gas molecules drawn in will ricochet off the side walls and still hit the piston.

From all these facts and observations I'd say it is reasonable to assume that these engines don't actually operate the way generally believed.

Probably a quick opening and rapid closing at the start of intake allowing more time for the trapped hot gas to expand and do work on the piston, actually cooling the gas by a full work output would result in a much stronger running engine, without any need for a pressure relief valve.

Possibly some model engines of this flame licker type are designed more along the lines I am suggesting, but these are somewhat uncommon, I don't have one to play with and slow motion videos that show the actual timing are hard to find.

So is there really "heat rejection" in these engines? Do they really run on a vacuum? I'd say hardly. They don't do enough real expansion work to actually produce much of a vacuum, therefore, the necessity for relieving pressure on the return stroke due to the less than perfect expansion work.

I think I'd try having the flame heat up a metal mesh "regenerator" or heat accumulator at the intake. Make a cam that opens the valve very briefly to let in a volume of very hot air, so that then the hot air can fully expand, doing work to drive the piston and therefore completely cool so as not to build up any pressure on the return stroke.

Maybe a bit of metal mesh "regenerator" type material just inside the cylinder could continue to heat and expand the gas more after the valve closes.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

I'll offer a very simple answer, however shrouded in incredible complexity it may be.

As the 2 stroke otto cycle has proven, there are significant forces associated with the standing waves generated by a reciprocating piston and gas traveling through ports. These have been taken advantage of to great success in modern 2 stroke design theory. So a poorly designed engine will be fighting these pressure waves endlessly.

As for the warm up period, the all metal engine has enormous thermal capacity compared to the hot air it is ingesting. So until the metal has warmed, the air is cooled before it has a change to do any work while contracting.

This would be my theory without having ever done any testing on one I should add.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

VincentG wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:37 am I'll offer a very simple answer, however shrouded in incredible complexity it may be.

As the 2 stroke otto cycle has proven, there are significant forces associated with the standing waves generated by a reciprocating piston and gas traveling through ports. These have been taken advantage of to great success in modern 2 stroke design theory. So a poorly designed engine will be fighting these pressure waves endlessly.
Proven?

Don't know about that. as far as I know there hasn't been any theorizing whatsoever regarding "standing waves" having any significance in an IC engine. Feel free to educate me.

As for the warm up period, the all metal engine has enormous thermal capacity compared to the hot air it is ingesting. So until the metal has warmed, the air is cooled before it has a change to do any work while contracting.
This seems vaguely self contradictory, but combined with the slow motion video showing the top pressure relief valve staying open during almost the entire "contraction" stroke, when logically it should be closed if the gas were doing much "work while contracting", and to be consistent generally, I have to stick with my alternate theory.

Hot molecules can impact a piston and do "work" even with zero or negative (vacuum) pressure. Drawing gas in through the hot flame increases the ratio of hot vs cold gas in the mixture, further, the gas being drawn through the orifice increases in velocity and is channeled toward the piston increasing the effectiveness of these hot air molecules.

I don't believe a vacuum can very well exist with an open valve.

Anyway this is consistent with my general theorizing along the lines that isothermal expansion & contraction is largely insignificant. Engines generally run to quickly for conducting much heat in or out. The majority of the actual work performed being due to adiabatic expansion and contraction.

The flame licker as generally constructed is a pretty fair approximation of isothermal expansion, that leaves the cylinder full of hot air that needs to be let out through that pressure relief valve.

Anyway you've given me another project added to my to do list

Get one or more of these flame licker engines and do some modifications in accordance with my theory and see if it holds water.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Tom, all I can say is that in another life time, I'd have not bought my house and instead rent out a shed for next to nothing and be experimenting all day.

The amount of mystery around these things is alarming considering we are making attempts to go to Mars.

Have you seen this demonstration of combustion inside a tesla valve? It seems there is so much going on here I can't begin to wrap my head around it. But somehow it seems relevant to the ideal stirling cycle to me.

https://youtu.be/tcV1EYSUQME

Also, what I mean is that the hot air is completely cooled before BDC in a cold soaked engine. Therefore there is no contraction towards TDC, but instead compression.

As for the standing wave theory, reference the 2 stroke tuners handbook