[Translating resource] 100W class LTD Stirling engine( Lesson 5-3 )

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Bumpkin

Re: [Translating resource] 100W class LTD Stirling engine( Lesson 5-3 )

Post by Bumpkin »

OK Vincent. Out of respect for your demonstrated intelligence I persevered and finally interpreted. (See how respect works Matt?) And Vincent, your language might well be the way to go, but in my language — When you say 1.1 to 1, evidently that’s the same as me saying 1 to 11. As in obverse of some I.C. engine having 11 to one compression, we would say a low/mid temp Stirling might have a 1 to 11 compression. I’m glad I got there, because I was beginning to wonder If anyone was out there. Sorry ‘bout that.

Bumpkin
matt brown

Post by matt brown »

VincentG wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:40 am Thanks Matt I'll have to go find that from mr. Rumsfeld.
Here's the classic soundbite...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REWeBzGuzCc
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Bumpkin I am glad we are on the same page now, I respect your work here as well, as I have been lurking here for the past couple of years. But if we are talking compression ratio, to me it only makes sense to model the numbers from an ICE. I thought number you suggest would better serve as an expansion ratio in a stirling cooler perhaps, but did not sit well with my train of thought. Sorry for the confusion.

To make matters even more complicated(humor me here), in a gamma type ltd with balanced hot and cold power strokes, the internal volume of gas should be set with the power piston in the middle of its travel. So maybe the number should be expressed as a percentage based on power piston swept volume and total system volume(including dead space). IOW my engine would be said to have a 10% working volume.