LTD to HTD Stirling engine converstion

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
Tom Booth

Re: LTD to HTD Stirling engine converstion

Post by Tom Booth »

Tom Booth wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:26 am ...

The bottom silicon gasket I made for that engine eventually melted, with repeated testing at over 1000°F.
The next step in my rebuilding efforts is to find or make some more reliable high temperature gasket material for the bottom plate.

A silicon oven mat type material seems to work fine for the cold plate.

I did just come across what I think may be a relatively new material as I haven't seen it previously and I've been looking off and on for a very long time.

An Amazon description says it is used:
..flexible graphite material has been proven for more than 30 years in industrial applications, where temperatures routinely exceed 2,000 degrees-day after day, week after week, year after year
Sold as a DIY exhaust manifold gasket material. Can be cut with an exacto knife, but expensive. About $60 / sq ft.

I have a suspicion that it might not be too difficult to make. Graphite itself is inexpensive.

Maybe crush up some pencil led and mix it with something like??
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

Another flexible graphite gasket manufacturers website mentions:

"Non-oxidizing Environment: Up to 5400° F (2980° C)"

Not too shabby. Even a gasket for an atmospheric air filled Stirling/hot air engines would have limited air contact, and for a helium filled Stirling, oxygen would be virtually non existent, inside the engine anyway

This stuff should be able to withstand even a hydrogen gas flame, which ultimately would be my goal.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

While partially assembling the engine, checking how the new piston works in action and so forth, I was thinking if, and/or ways in which it might be possible to lengthen the power piston throw for increased compression ratio.

Suddenly the crankshaft came apart in my hand.
Resize_20240105_235359_9756.jpg
Resize_20240105_235359_9756.jpg (123 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
Resize_20240105_235400_0347.jpg
Resize_20240105_235400_0347.jpg (129.69 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
Maybe it wouldn't be all that difficult. Apparently the parts are only pressed together rather than welded.
Fool

Post by Fool »

I've had good luck with Locktite bearing retainer.

I don't know if it would help any but I've heard it is possible to glue glass to glass in a permanent bond using sodium silicate water glass and heat treatment? Glue the hot end and use a silicone gasket on the cold end of a glass displacer chamber?