Carnot reveal for Tom

Discussion on Stirling or "hot air" engines (all types)
matt brown

Carnot reveal for Tom

Post by matt brown »

Tom claims Carnot efficiency limit is bogus AND that his LTD can run without a heat sink. I shall attempt to resolve both of these claims…

claim 1 - Carnot is bogus

Tom has been slammed on other forums for claiming Carnot is bogus with cocky guys claiming he needs to prove Carnot invalid while Tom claims they need to prove Carnot valid. This leaves Tom hard pressed to prove a negative while these bozos miss a simple proof (1) heat=work (2) internal energy is linear absolute T (3) in isothermal process heat=work during compression or expansion.

Consider these temperatures where heat or work required for the same isothermal compression or expansion will vary by x

1200k 4x
_900k 3x
_600k 2x
_300k x

Yep, Carnot wins for any ideal regenerated Stirling cycle. The thing to remember with isothermal processes is that there’s no heat “leaving the gas” (either way)…it’s passing THRU the gas from source during expansion (where heat=work) and to sink during compression (where work=heat). Another thing to remember with isothermal processes is that the internal energy remains constant where each gas molecule has the same internal energy and same translational speed regardless of volumetric changes. Everyone seems to struggle with the reality that the internal energy remains constant despite our in/ability to gain usable work varies by volume variations. It is what it is.

claim 2 – no heat sink req’d

No heat sink sounds impossible. However, this time Tom offers video proof that appears to confirm his claim, but is largely dismissed as flawed (lacks NASA grade study).

Carnot reveal via voodoo.png
Carnot reveal via voodoo.png (19.51 KiB) Viewed 26283 times

Here’s my spin on a gamma cycle vs what I call a voodoo cycle. They’re each shown via distinct processes with PVT values chosen for clarity and including value “m” as relative density (abstract gas moles). Both cycles are shown with single-acting pistons where the upper piston is the power piston while the lower 2 pistons represent a displacer. The thing to remember here is that each figure is a freeze frame and that each process is between two figures.

Both cycles have the same input and output, 1-2 and 2-3, then everything differs. The gamma cycle has Cv regen 3-4 followed by isothermal compression 4-1. Meanwhile, the voodoo cycle has Cp regen 3-1 with simultaneous isometric transfer from power piston. Take a close look at these values and some weird stuff appears…gamma has external cooling while voodoo does not, yet both cycles have the same heat input from source and same work output at power piston. What’s up ??? I pondered this for a few hrs over a few nights trying to rationalize the whole work=heat buzz…
Then I was saved by a past comment Vincent made regarding buffer pressure where he said he favored vacuum. That did the trick and a mini altered state ensued. Review my values and you’ll see there’s no ambient or buffer pressure shown and this changes everything!!! The 3 bar Pmin coincides m values to gain whole m values gamma stg 4. Substitute 3 bar vs 1 bar vs 0 bar buffer pressure and you’ll discover something I’ve never seen anyone mention before:

The previous pseudo Carnot “proof” lacks buffer pressure consideration which is cross canceled and passes by unnoticed (sneaky academics). However, in reality, any 300-600k cycle with “x” expansion where the molar density is the same in working cylinder as buffer will lose to Carnot during this first process alone, since the buffer pressure is opposing the expansion. IOW we traditionally tally Carnot energy tax per cycle, but it’s actually paid per process.

If you toy with this enough, you’ll realize that only with zero buffer pressure (a vacuum) can all input heat become work during expansion (Vincent nailed it). Then, lacking any assist from buffer pressure (due to vacuum), completing the cycle will require all compression input from expansion via flywheel. So, the lower the proportional buffer pressure, the more proportional input is needed from flywheel, and vice-versa. Just think of crankcase or ambient pressure as feeble bounce gas.

Returning to my drawing, the gamma is .50 eff per Carnot, but the voodoo is ~1/3 less eff since it will require work for isobaric compression AND loses slight work gain gamma likely achieves during 4-1 process (depends on buffer pressure). Nevertheless, voodoo shows that a cycle is possible without external cooling, but this requires a specific relationship between volume ratio and thermal ratio, and common LTD hover around ideal ratios (maybe Senft knew this). The thermo gurus always say Wnet is path dependent, but sequence dependent is better buzz. As a sidebar, it’s worth noting that gamma Cv regen appears to create low pressure “cold hole” akin Tesla (vs voodoo Cp regen) but this is an illusion.
matt brown

Re: Carnot reveal for Tom

Post by matt brown »

oops, this is correct drawing...

gamma vs voodoo B.png
gamma vs voodoo B.png (20 KiB) Viewed 26266 times
oops, this is better drawing...
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Firstly - proving that Carnot is wrong is actually easier than proving it is correct - essentially Tom is claiming that Reindeer CAN fly, which is easy to prove (if true) - just need to see one flying, and/or show appropriate Maths.

Secondly though, you I need to support part of (what I understand) of Tom's argument.
You state above: "Everyone seems to struggle with the reality that the internal energy remains constant" If this were true, where does the kinetic energy of the engine come from?
matt brown

Post by matt brown »

MikeB wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:58 am "Everyone seems to struggle with the reality that the internal energy remains constant" If this were true, where does the kinetic energy of the engine come from?
During an isothermal process, the internal energy of each gas molecule remains constant due to constant temperature. What we call pressure is merely the frequency that these molecules 'ping' upon a given area. A heat engine uses heat to manipulate this frequency (aka pressure) between volumes via some type of 'heat' differential.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

My view has changed recently, somewhat.

But I don't think it is necessary for heat to be "rejected" to the cold side of the engine to complete a cycle.

Really, I don't think the heat actually leaves the hot side, not necessarily, or not as heat. Depends on how heat is defined I suppose.

But you have a "vibrating" hot plate that a molecule of "working fluid" bounces off and takes up some energy. Call that kinetic energy or call it heat, but this molecule eventually collides with the piston (not necessarily any cold side) that absorbs this heat, or kinetic energy.

What role exactly does the cold side play?

The molecule of working fluid, having lost its additional energy meanders around until it once again collides with the hot side taking in another bit of added kinetic energy and transfers that to the piston.

The "working fluid" molecule is like a ping pong ball being batted back and forth between the hot side and the piston.

Supposedly only a small fraction of the heat taken up from the hot side can actually be transfered to the piston, so the "excess" heat, according to the Carnot efficiency formula, can be no less than something like 70% of the heat added, usually more like 80 or 90% or more so this "excess" must absolutely be removed to the cold sink for the engine to complete even one cycle.

This does not appear to be supported by the evidence, or by experiment, as I've been able to run these engines for hours without seeing any appreciable elevation in temperature at the cold side.

Further, I've requested many times on many forums, science and classical physics forums in particular, for any historical record or account of any experiment whatsoever that in any way validates this "efficiency equation". without any response.

That was only after scouring the entire history of thermodynamics myself and finding no such record or account of any actual validation.

I'm not saying there is no such thing as potential "waste heat" or that an engine can necessarily be 100% efficient, but the Carnot formula does not say an engine cannot be 100% efficient, it says it cannot be 20% efficient, or whatever the calculation might work out to.

So typically my model engines running on hot steam or whatever should be about 20% Carnot efficiency at best, being overly generous, not accounting for friction or other incidental loses, but I often measure no elevation in temperature at the cold side at all, even after hundreds or thousands of cycles.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

My recent "change in viewpoint" centers mainly around what appears to actually happen at the cold plate.

First of all, the working fluid is subjected to heat by the displacer uncovering the hot plate.

The gas contacting the hot plate at this time expands driving the piston out, which converts the "heat" into the velocity of the piston.

As the piston continues traveling by virtue of stored momentum while the displacer re-insulates or covers the hot plate. The heat input stops, but the heat utilization, driving the piston continues and the working fluid cools, apparently to the extent of cooling below the cold (ambient temperature) plate.

So at that point atmospheric pressure drives the piston back inward (even in the absence of any flywheel or connection to a rotating crankshaft in some instances)

So it would seem that a portion of the energy used in driving the piston out displacing the atmosphere is recovered when the piston is driven back in by atmospheric pressure.

The "heat of compression" from atmosphere doing work on the gas contributes to the elevation in temperature of the working fluid which is then exposed to the hot plate once again.

It looks to me like the added heat "powering" the engine is not only not passing through to the cold side, but some heat is potentially being drawn from the cold side as well as the hot side.

It's as if atmospheric pressure "pitches" the ball (piston) driving it inward and the added heat from the hot plate strikes the piston driving it back out.

When a batter in baseball hits a home run out of the park, it is a combination of two forces, the pitch and the swing, likewise atmospheric pressure contributes, or gives back energy from the first 1/2 cycle (expansion displacing atmosphere) which combines with the heat applied the next 1/2 cycle (compression by atmospheric pressure + heat input).

At this point the idea that a heat engine works something like a water wheel by heat passing through it appears to me as just fanciful, and based on nothing but wild imagination.

Heat is not a substance that flows through the engine like water from a hot reservoir down a hill to a lower cold reservoir. It's a ridiculous notion with no basis in fact. There is no empirical data or experimental evidence in support of it that I've ever been able to discover, and not for lack of trying.

So, in a sense "heat" (or energy) does go "through" the engine, but not from the hot to the cold side, but rather from the hot AND the cold side to drive the piston, but at that point it is no longer heat, but has been subject to transformation from molecular motion of a gas to the mechanical motion of a solid piston.
matt brown

Post by matt brown »

I'm willing to accept most classical thermo, since a bunch of guys, spent a bunch of time, trying to piece various observations together. But, I often wonder why the kinetic theory wasn't accepted until 1926 when Einstein won the Nobel Prize on Brownian Motion. Until then, the kinetic theory was a...hotly (lol)...debated topic. I don't have any problem buying into the idea that heat applied to gas increases molecular speed linear absolute temperature. My logic here is that heat=heat, so the gas speed increasing with temperature I'll simply chalk up to as coincidence. It's not as if a cold gas is fed into a hot cylinder, whereupon the 'hotter' metal (or whatever) cylinder is vibrating faster than the cold gas, thereby some hot kinetic energy is transferred to the cold gas. Nope, and that's pretty much the caloric theory where the heat is an integral part molecular speed (although they didn't word it this way during the caloric days).

All I know is that they're related, and exactly how the heat increases translational speed, I'll leave for the physicists to explain (don't hold your breath). The problem comes when trying to grasp how work decreases temperature, and simply saying work decreases temperature is an observation, not an explanation. But this too, I'll leave to the physicists, since my dance card is full with classical thermo.

My voodoo graphic proves that cycles are possible that don't require any external cooling. But as I said, this voodoo 'cycle' requires a specific relationship between displacer & power piston volumes vs the cycle's thermal ratio. If it was a constant, someone would have pointed it out long ago.

I often say that Carnot is chiseled in stone, but ONLY for regular cycles where opposing heating & cooling processes interleave opposing expansion & compression processes. Otherwise, Carnot is suspect, but no one has beat him yet. My deep dive into gammas leads me to feel safe with alphas in Carnot camp, but gammas & betas might escape, since their expansion is from the low pressure side. So, my new Carnot spin is that Carnot rules for regular cycles with distinct volumes (betas & gammas are like Maxwell's Demon with indistinct volumes, apart out-of-phase issues).

My gamma study is a work in progress and quite interesting after alpha boredom. Per my OP, I never considered Carnot effect per process, only per cycle which is bogus for betas & gammas. Over the decades, I've read 1000s of SE white papers and never seen any hint of Carnot 'tally' per process. These guys appear to have overlooked that piston pressure vs ambient/buffer pressure does not always cross-cancel thruout a cycle. Of course, finding a cycle is one thing, figuring out an engine that can achieve it is another.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

All I know is in numerous experiments like this one, where an LTD engine is running on a cup (double wall, vacuum insulated) of hot water, the water measuring 179 degrees Fahrenheit, in a room (ambient temperature about 80 degrees). After over 200 cycles the vacuum insulated cup had risen in temperature to about 95 degrees F while the top of the engine was still near room temperature.

I thought I was reading the inside top of the engine, but the infrared does not pass through clear acrylic, so what the temperature was INSIDE the engine is debatable I suppose.

https://youtu.be/cR31i09PnNQ

Acrylic is insulating but this (next video) engine has a metal, I believe steel or possibly tin or stainless top.

I kept running the engine for hours, repeatedly changing the water as it cooled with fresh hot water (this cup is also vacuum insulated to help insure any "waste heat" goes through the engine rather than being carried up via convection of the surrounding air)

I kept the sides of the engine insulated as well so any "waste heat" would have to pass through (through the engine) to the top.

After three hours, the metal top of the engine not only did not get hot at all, the temperature actually cooled to a few degrees BELOW the general ambient temperature as indicated by the thermal imaging camera readings.

https://youtu.be/P11q-BAhvqk
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

In the first video it can be seen that the temperature of the acrylic top is apparently slightly cooler than ambient but the temperature begins to rise as soon as the insulation was removed.

I thought this apparent cooling might become possible or more measurable without insulation if the piston were made to travel out (resulting in greater adiabatic expansion/cooling) further. By moving the connecting rod further out on the flywheel.

Since the cold side is normally contacting ambient, it is maintained at a temperature near ambient, so any refrigerating or heat pump type cooling effect cannot normally be easily appreciated.

For the temperature to measurably drop even a degree or two below ambient with the cold side exposed to the direct ambient heat indicates rather conclusively IMO, that there is some kind of refrigerating effect happening.

When I post videos of this sort on the various science and physics forums,... Well, I've been banned from all of them I think at this point for being a "free energy" crank.

I don't personally see using heat (a cup of near boiling water) to effect refrigeration as "free energy".

There are gas refrigerators that use a gas flame to produce refrigeration and the Vuilleumier Heat Pump is not some fictional machine, it is virtually identical to a Stirling engine in its basic principle of operation.
matt brown

Post by matt brown »

Tom Booth wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:47 pm All I know is in numerous experiments like this one, where an LTD engine is running on a cup (double wall, vacuum insulated) of hot water, the water measuring 179 degrees Fahrenheit, in a room (ambient temperature about 80 degrees). After over 200 cycles the vacuum insulated cup had risen in temperature to about 95 degrees F while the top of the engine was still near room temperature.
This is really interesting and I'll be pondering this, xlnt job with lots of measurements !!! For now, all I've cracked is how certain LTD can operate without external cooling. I discovered this by accident and slept on it, just to make sure I wasn't imaging stuff. The next day, I reviewed it and posted "Tom is right..." but at that time I had no idea how this could be. I continued doodling and ended up with my voodoo cycle pitch, but my earlier post was a rambling mess. I now have a better idea of how this voodoo cycle 'works' (volumes vs thermal ratio stuff) but still baffled on many details.
gamma vs voodoo.png
gamma vs voodoo.png (20 KiB) Viewed 26159 times

Check this drawing out again and imagine ambient/buffer pressure is 3 bar for both cycles. Note that during voodoo stg 3-1 isobaric regen occurs with no apparent Wneg since everything is 3 bar thruout engine. We're led to believe that any isobaric process generates work during heating and requires work during cooling. However, does this isobaric regen require work ? If so, then does the ambient/buffer pressure increase heat during transfer from hot to cold space. If not, then in certain cases (like this) 'isobaric' regen is equal isochoric regen. This is the type of stuff I'm wrestling with to sort out.

Anyway, this voodoo cycle has endless options, but again, each thermal cycle requires a specific relationship between displacer and power piston volumes (same ratios shown above for voodoo are an outlier). However, you'll like this voodoo scheme on the low end where a 300-330k thermal cycle requires displacer volume 10x power piston volume. These values are for an ideal 300-330k cycle with distinct events, regenerator and no dead volume. Reality would change stuff, but I'll assume average LTD has no dead volume and I can already explain regen without any apparent 'real' regen. Then only typical out-of-phase dynamics has to be accounted for. Nevertheless, my graphic proves that no external (keyword) cooling is required for certain cycles.

Above graphic indicates that gamma has more work output from same heat input while also needing external cooling. This is the major dichotomy that I'm trying to resolve.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

As far as I can see, it looks as though what you call a voodoo cycle could be accomplished with one power piston (your voodoo cycle cold side displacers? Or cold side pistons?, Not sure I understand) having an extended throw. (Adding or combining the throw of the two into one extra long cylinder)

I also think in your #3 part of the cycle the temperatures of the working fluid would be lower throughout due to the expansion work from #2 to #3 in the upper cold cylinder, or are the temperatures indicated just the applied external heat?
matt brown

Post by matt brown »

I depicted the displacer as 2 single-acting pistons to show distinct values per process. Actual engine would require added complexity or compromise when distinct events.

voodoo detail.png
voodoo detail.png (5.53 KiB) Viewed 26148 times

Here's a closeup of voodoo #2 & #3. The values are accurate and note the 2:1 volume ratio and 2:1 thermal ratio. Remember, this is just to show no external cooling required when isobaric regen during one blow while other blow is isochoric. V & T values are straight forward and via Schmidt we'll assume P is always equal between volumes (at any given time). I choose "m" for gas mass and used 6m as total working volume. Note that at #3 the power piston has 3m in 3v at 300k while the displacer (hot space) also has 3m, but in 6v at 600k, yet both are 3bar.

I can't blame anyone who glances over this and thinks I must have screwed up somewhere, since these values appear as a slick slight of hand. Interestingly, these are the exact same values that I was using when I first stumbled across this and had to sleep on it.
matt brown

Post by matt brown »

As a long time alpha guy, I never gave betas & gammas much thought, but my deep dive on gammas is revealing all sorts of stuff. Most gamma guys know that the volume ratio is not the 'compression' ratio due to out-of-phase dynamics, so a better metric is the pressure ratio (aka pressure swing). However, I doubt many guys know that the expansion ratio is greater than the compression ratio AND that the expansion ratio/compression ratio increases with increases in power piston volume relative displacer volume. These differences are slight within typical LTD proportions (due small PP) but for any gamma with power piston volume near displacer volume, these differences become very noticeable.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

I don't have any problem buying into the idea that heat applied to gas increases molecular speed linear absolute temperature. 

Interesting that molecule speed and pressure increases linearly with temperature, while kinetic energy goes up exponentially with the velocity of a mass.

Perhaps basic thermo does not explain the difference in available energy of a hot and cold gas at the same pressure.
Tom Booth

Post by Tom Booth »

I'm not suggesting you "screwed up", just that real life is a little more messy.

What I mean is, the three compartments are not really three neat seperated isolated volumes. The gas pressure/temperature on both hot and cold sides tends to ebb and flow in unison, as represented by the temperature curves n this graph:
Polish_20221220_162334879.jpg
Polish_20221220_162334879.jpg (147.22 KiB) Viewed 26102 times
Though hot and cold chambers are seperated by a regenerator, when the working gas in the cold chamber expands and cools, the working fluid on the hot side rather inevitably follows a parallel curve and vice versa when the temperature/pressure rises in the hot side there is a secondary "heat" that develops due to the elevated pressure in the cold side, though there may be no direct exchange or transfer of gas.

From 2 to 3 the combined total volume of the chambers expands from 0+0+6 = 6 to 0+3+6 = 9

Realistically with such an expansion the temperature of the hot chamber could not maintain a constant 600k